Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Canon 70-200mm f/4L

Originally posted by dkane95 View Post
    Well maybe teaming up with someone could make me more confident with telling people what to do. I'm no people person, it's just a shame Landscapes won't pay me to photograph them.
    I've covered 2 weddings for close friends BUT there was a professional involved who I knew. One wedding, how he got the outdoor church shots etc in appalling weather I'll never know, his kit included step ladders, umbrella, 3 cameras, an eye on the sky plus he's a national press sports tog may answer the question. Some of my indoor shots were used in the album using just the 50mm F/1.4 on his advice, it's unobtrusive-quite fast so just walk around, snap and lets see what you get !
    You will also need a wide angle lens-groups-a sigma 10-20 may well just fit your budget BUT a wedding is a one off remember.
    Canon 100D, 18-135 IS STM, 50 1.8 STM, 220EX Flash.

Comment

I found the 14-105f4 my useful lens for weddings (on a ff camera) as it took everything from groups to portraits
      ef-r

Comment

Originally posted by Scuff View Post
        I have shot many weddings, here are my observations for what they are worth.

A large percentage of the shots use flash for fill. You haven't mentioned that but it is essential that you get a reliable and powerful flash gun. Outside when photographing the couple and the groups, it balances any harsh contrast if it is very bright and gives a pleasant highlight in the eyes.

I have a minimum of 2 SLR's. If one packs up or gets dropped etc. you have a backup. I have a 70-200 2.8 on one camera and a 24-105 on the other. This gives you the advantage of quickly using different focal lengths without faffing around changing lenses. Time is short and people will get bored quickly if they are waiting for the photographer.

I have never needed anything longer that 200mm at a wedding. I often use it indoors with bounced flash to capture the speeches and the guests relaxing and having fun at the reception.

The 24-105 comes into its own with groups. Allowing you to cover large groups but also zoom in to individuals as/when something comes up. Again, flash is used in virtually every shot outside.

I can't honestly see that the sigma would be any use at all at a wedding.

it's just my way of doing things, travelling light and having your kit ready for anything allows you to get the work done quickly and effectively. I hope it helps, and I'm sure that you are aware, shooting a wedding requires understanding of your kit, lighting and excellent technique, you only get one chance with no time for chimping or re-shooting if you get it wrong. Planning you shots and groups beforehand is essential, as are excellent people skills and an air of authority and efficiency.

An assistant will help as well, helping you to get the groups arranged and also get some more candid shots while you are shooting the 'official' ones.
        I've not actually shot a wedding since my film days, but that's similar to the way I worked then (only with 3 SLRs, one for fast film, one for normal, plus one back-up with normal speed film and the long lens). The key thing is to be absolutely familiar with your kit, check your camera and flash batteries are fresh and your memory cards empty and in the camera(s), with spares close to hand. I always used to sit down before with the bride (and groom) to plan exactly what formal shots they wanted (if any). I could then create a schedule, copy for me, copy for my assistant (my wife) to get the right people in the right place at the right time. Shots ticked off as taken, it allowed me to keep time between shots to a minimum. Cameras back then were EOS 3, 5 and 100 (which was very quiet, ideal for use in church), lenses 20-35mm f2.8L, 28-135 IS USM, and Sigma 70-200 f2.8 EX, plus 50mm f1.4. I can't imagine a use for a 300mm lens on full frame at a wedding, much less on APS-C; far more likely that my 20-35 wouldn't be wide enough, so I sometimes used to keep my Sigma 18mm f3.5 somewhere to hand. Flash was a 430EZ with an off-camera shoe and a bracket and some bounce/diffusing accessory, and the other key bit of kit was the Manfrotto tripod. Oh, and a medium-sized Lastolite reflector. It was a pain using three different bodies, especially as the 3 had a different control system to the 5 and 100, which meant that the "best" camera was the least used so that I could use the cameras more instinctively.
        Please don't ask about my kit, it's embarrassing!

Comment

Originally posted by briansquibb View Post
          I found the 14-105f4 my useful lens for weddings (on a ff camera) as it took everything from groups to portraits
          Do you mean the 24-105mm L F4 Brian.

Comment

S-J-P
            I notice your reference to Park Cameras re the price of the 70-200 f2.8. Is this a "closed" offer to previous customers?

Comment

Working...
            X