Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

which lens for CANON EOS 7D ?...

hi guys!
    after spending a month or so chasing all over the internet that camera of my dreams, i made a final decision about which one i would like to have :
    CANON EOS 7D
    i had under consideration some other canon cameras and money i can spend, i think this is the one .
    because i am completely new in dslr cameras i have been trying to find out about which lenses i need etc.what can i say? i have no idea how many pages i read about which lens is the best for what but it is just too many information for someone without any experience like me. i put on the paper many lists,printed numerous pages etc...
    a fer days ago i joined eos magazine forum and i think this is the best place where i can ask some questions and for advices. i am sure that many of you with longtime experience will laugh on my dumb questions,
    my passion is nature: wildlife,landscapes and interesting buildings. recently i "discovered" insects and want to spend much more time in taking pics of that fantastic miniature world.
    i would like to buy good quality lenses.
    after reserch i made this is a short list of lenses i think i should get.

-EF 100mm f2.8L MACRO IS USM
    -EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS USM
    -Tamron AF 18-270 f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC LD

i understand that i probably need more but i need to see what you can suggest...
    PLEASE, let me know what you think and any comment or suggestion is more than welcomed!
    thanks a lot!

Re: which lens for CANON EOS 7D ?...

Stribor,

You've almost got it all covered:

wildlife - Canon EF 100-400
    landscapes - Canon EF 17-40 f/4
    interesting buildings - Canon EF 17-40 f/4 or 1 of teh TSE lenses
    recently i "discovered" insects - Canon EF 100 f/2.8 L IS

PS - It's not which lens for the 7D, it's the lens for your choice of subject, the camera does not matter so much.
    Last edited by Bawbee; 10-12-2009, 20:20.
    Bob Turner
    Dundee, Scotland UK.

Comment

thanks bob! very kind of you! :-)

Comment

For landscapes the 17-40mm ( good though it is ) is not really wide enough on your APS-C sensor. Better would be either the Canon 10-22mm or Sigma 10-20mm, depending on budget.
        And an alternative to the Canon 100 f/2.8 macro would be the ubiquitous Tamron 90mm f/2.8 macro

Comment

For landscape and buildings buy the 10-22mm and you will go crazy, because you will take pics you never imagined, believe me. ;-)
          Last edited by Birchler; 20-01-2010, 23:46.
          EOS 400D, 10-22mm, 17-85mm IS, 70-300mm IS, 50mm/1.8, 430 EX, IXUS 85 IS

Comment

Originally posted by Birchler View Post
            For landscape and buildings buy the 10-22mm and you will go crazy, because you will take pics you never imagined, believe me. ;-)
            I take landscapes with 100+mm - each to their own
            ef-r

Comment

Hello Stribor

From your earlier posts, I have locked on to two issues.

The first is that you are new to DSLR and it is therefore reasonable to assume that you will have to contend with a learning curve. You have chosen the new 7D and that would appear to be an inspired choice, as that camera is capable of superb results. But, it is also a bit harder to set up initially and will take a little longer to get used to than say - a 40D. On saying that, once you have got used to it and fully take control, the results I have seen are outstanding.

The second is that unlike most people starting with a DSLR, you don't appear to be hampered by a tight budget to work to and you are prepared to put decent glass on the 7D body. Bearing in mind that you have a learning curve with the 7D, may I suggest that you don't buy a bagfull of lenses at this time, but just go for one very good all rounder to start with. That way, you are concentrating on building up your skills and experience to get the best out of what you have got. In time, when you are comfortable to progress, buy one new lens at a time and build up your experience again, until you feel you need the next one.

If you agree with the logic, start with the 24 - 105mm f4 L IS and if you get extension tubes at the same time, that will also cover your macro needs. Then, depending where your preferences lie, go for a telephoto, or a wide angle.

Good luck, whichever way you decide

Colin
              Colin

Comment

Originally posted by briansquibb View Post
                I take landscapes with 100+mm - each to their own
                .......But not many buildings though, eh?
                And yes, I am a massive fan of the Canon 10-22mm!

Comment

Originally posted by collywobbles View Post
                  .......But not many buildings though, eh?
                  And yes, I am a massive fan of the Canon 10-22mm!
                  Not from close up true, but further away - and more natural looking - yes my 18-55 covers it fine. I agree with Colin in that the 24-105L is a good lens to have on the front as it will handle probably 3/4 of the pictures you take.

One of the cheapest lens is your legs

- need to zoom in - take two steps forward
                  - need to zoom out - take two steps backwards

Last edited by briansquibb; 21-01-2010, 15:59.
                  ef-r

Comment

Working...
                  X