Dust in lenses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dust in lenses

How serious is dust in lenses and what is the approx cost (if any member has any idea) to have it removed- if possible? I am referring to rear element dust.

I am asking this as I am now missing my 300mm f4 IS USM lens and have recently been offered a 300mmf4 non IS lens at a very reasonable price. The only problem is that (a) the manual focus doesn't work- must get it repaired for my own comfort (b) the rear element has got some dust. Apart from that, the lens works perfectly and the AF is a peach- no problem. The dust doesn't affect the pictures.

Many thanks

Nathaniel
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Re: Dust in lenses

If the dust is minor it will probably be just like muck on the sensor - only really show up at small apertures which should not be a problem as the lens is really for wildlife and you would only be using it at f8 maximum. The more serious thing is the fact the manual focus does not work - irrespective of the price i would avoid it like the plague as you never know what trouble you are letting yourself in for. Today the manual focus tomorrow.....the auto

Stan
    Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
    flickr

Comment

You also need to be sure that its not fungus specs, which can look like dust specs.

Dave
      Dave

Comment

I'd be inclined to avoid it too.
        Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF 135mm F/2 L, EF 16-35mm F/4 L, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 28mm f/2.8
        http://www.aveyardphotography.co.uk
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/aveyardphotography
        https://www.facebook.com/AveyardPhotography

Comment

Thanks for your good advice. Yes, I will bow to your advice and decline the offer. On one other point, I have read reviews that the non IS 300mm f4L is sharper than the IS version! Any comment?
          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

I thought I might also mention that I have now learnt that this lens is no longer supported by Canon and therefore parts and spares would be almost impossible to obtain.

Comment

I think I'd be inclined to avoid it too,Nat...
              [ Canon 1DX ] [ 70-200 f2.8 L is II ] [ 300 f4 L is usm ] [ 50 mm f1.8 II ] [ 24-105 f4 L is ] [ Speedlite 430 ] [Yongnuo 568 ex II flash ] [ Yongnuo flash triggers ] [ Cokin P filters] [ Giottos Silk Road GYTL8384 carbon tripod ] [ Photoshop CS5 ] ... Wish list Canon EF 500 mm f/4 L IS USM.

Some nice gear, but not much idea ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/123175589@N03/

Comment

Well! Not to worry. I won't be buying the 300mm f4 non IS at all. I was not aware that this lens was not supported by Canon and that's quite a serious matter for any one contemplating buying this lens. So as the Dragons would say "I AM OUT"!

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
                  So as the Dragons would say "I AM OUT"!
                  [ Canon 1DX ] [ 70-200 f2.8 L is II ] [ 300 f4 L is usm ] [ 50 mm f1.8 II ] [ 24-105 f4 L is ] [ Speedlite 430 ] [Yongnuo 568 ex II flash ] [ Yongnuo flash triggers ] [ Cokin P filters] [ Giottos Silk Road GYTL8384 carbon tripod ] [ Photoshop CS5 ] ... Wish list Canon EF 500 mm f/4 L IS USM.

Some nice gear, but not much idea ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/123175589@N03/

Comment

On one other point, I have read reviews that the non IS 300mm f4L is sharper than the IS version! Any comment?
                    Both are very similar but the IS version is sharper at f/8.
                    Glad you have turned it down though.
                    Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
                    Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

How serious is dust in lenses and what is the approx cost (if any member has any idea) to have it removed- if possible? I am referring to rear element dust.

I am asking this as I am now missing my 300mm f4 IS USM lens and have recently been offered a 300mmf4 non IS lens at a very reasonable price. The only problem is that (a) the manual focus doesn't work- must get it repaired for my own comfort (b) the rear element has got some dust. Apart from that, the lens works perfectly and the AF is a peach- no problem. The dust doesn't affect the pictures.

Many thanks

Nathaniel
                      Dust in the lens?? How did you that? I know there is a company in Holland who cleans the mirror in your body for ca. 40 euro.
                      With kind regards,
                      Friso

Canon EOS 70D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 | Canon EFS 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6mm IS STM | Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 |

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128548396@N08/

Comment

Originally posted by Fr1so View Post
                        Dust in the lens?? How did you that? I know there is a company in Holland who cleans the mirror in your body for ca. 40 euro.
                        Friso, I do not have dust in any of my lenses. I was contemplating buying a lens with a bit of dust but I have been advised not to buy that particular lens. So that is only a bit of foolish conjecture on my part.

Good to see you back. Keep it up.

Comment

Working...
                        X