Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lens Cleaning

Hello,

Some while ago I dropped my EF 100mm to 400mm telephoto. luckily?? it fell onto a soft surface.....sand. I cleaned it very carefully as best I could but the manual focusing was a bit stiff afterwards, I suspect tiny grains had got in. Gradually this has eased over the last couple of years but now there are a few specs of dirt/ sand on the internal lenses and they do show up on photos with a lot of sky or plain surfaces. nothing major but they are there.

Can anyone advise the best course of action with an address and possible idea of cost.

thank you.

Re: Lens Cleaning

johnsons in glasgow or lehmans in stoke on trent are both canon authorised repair agents ,cost would think between £100-200 depending on whether anything else needs fixing .you then have to factor in special delivery postage as well due to its value around £25 ,there are a couple of places around london as well i believe ,(google for them) and another canon place in colchester .but none of these will commit to a price without inspection first and there all within a few quid of each other with there quotes speaking from personal experience

Comment

Thanks, that was an expensive accident or will be when I get it fixed.

Comment

I wonder if anything you see on the photos is on the lens or the sensor? I'd suggest fitting another lens and shooting a featureless sky at f22 and comparing.

Dust in the lens isn't usually a visible problem (!!):

If you see stuff at F22 with another lens then try blowing at the sensor with a Giottos Rocket Air - keeping it clear of the mirror in a Bulb or 30sec exposure. (You really don't want the mirror coming down on an obstacle.)

Comment

Thanks, I have tried it with another lens and then I get no spots/specks on the photo so I think it must be the lens. I have been recommended a shop called Aperture UK at Rathbone Place London.

Comment

Working...
          X