Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

24-70 F4L Anyone got one or opinions in general?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

24-70 F4L Anyone got one or opinions in general?

Pondering lenses again and I was considering one of these as a 24-105 replacement. Plus side, it's a bit lighter, bit smaller and has a bit better iq. Down side seems to have focus issues. Any thoughts? BTW please don't mention the 2.8, I'd like a mk 2 but am not prepared to drop that amount of cash. Thanks in advance.
    TS-E17 F4L, 70-300L, 100 F2.8L Macro. http://www.flickr.com/photos/waynelsworth/

Re: 24-70 F4L Anyone got one or opinions in general?

I'm interested in your comments as well. I'm considering changing out my 24-105; same as Wayne.
    Bob Turner
    Dundee, Scotland UK.

Comment

I'm on the lookout for a lens in this range too, so I'll be watching this thread with interest.
      Canon 5DMKII | Canon 550D | EF 50mm f/1.8 II | EF 35 f/2 IS USM | EF 85 f/1.8 USM | Speedlite 430EX II | 2x Yongnuo YN-622C | MacBook Pro 2.7GHz i7 | Lightroom 5 | Hama Traveller Mini Pro Tripod | Lowepro Stealth Reporter D400W | Flickr | 500px | Website

Comment

So so far just lots of us sat on the fence! For me, I'm not interested in the F2.8 mk2 because of cost and to a lesser extent no IS. I think the F4 with IS and the ISO capabilities of the 6D will cope well for what I do. I've also been toying with getting a macro but then that's more weight in the bag, as this can do it too it's nice to have for a play about. But now I've also been reading about the Tamron which sounds good too...

But then on my recent trip I didn't miss not having the 24-105 so could I go just prime in which case what would get more use, 24 or 35. I'm thinking 35.
        Last edited by Wayne Els; 01-12-2013, 21:51.
        TS-E17 F4L, 70-300L, 100 F2.8L Macro. http://www.flickr.com/photos/waynelsworth/

Comment

You mentioned not mentioning the 2.8, so I will , have you thought about the 24-70 F2.8L MKI, I could never get away with the 24-105 F4L, although it's a well regarded lens, but I love the 24-70 F2.8L, and it's my main landscape lens (on a FF body).

Regarding primes, I use them a lot, and much prefer them to zooms, apart from landscape photography,with primes for landscapes, I found that after you had set your tripod up, levelled, filters in place etc, you had to start moving everything around, starting the process again to change the composition, with a zoom it provides that flexibility to properly compose your landscape shot, generally without the previous kerfaffle, which when you consider , you only have small windows of opportunity at times regarding good light, is an important consideration.
          Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
          Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Comment

After using the 24-105 I do find a 70mm long end (on my m43 24-70 equivalent lens) a bit limiting, as it's very little zoom at all. Perhaps use a tool like ExposurePlot to see how much you use the 71-105mm end of the lens? It's available here: http://www.vandel.nl/exposureplot.html

Also, interestingly, Roger Cicala (of Lens Rentals) recently said they get very few issues with the 24-105s going out of alignment over time, which was good to hear. (See in the comments of http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013...ens#more-16017 - just search for 105 on the page. )

Comment

Cheers Guys, you both make some good points.

Les, the mk 1 I had pretty much discounted, partly because of weight, partly because 2nd hand - wouldn't bother me normally but as these were Pro's workhorses I'm a bit concerned about condition and partly because I think they are still quite expensive with allegedly similar IQ to the new F4 but no IS. The reframing with a prime is a good point.
              John, I'm going to have to have a whole rethink about the 24-105. Am I being too picky? I've seen lots of brilliant shots taken with it and it is undoubtedly well made.
              Back to 24-70's the Tamron sounds very good but it's heavy, though is 2.8 with IS/VR.

Maybe I'll buy a 100mm macro instead! (and a 35mm prime).
              Last edited by Wayne Els; 02-12-2013, 18:27. Reason: typo

Comment

I own the 24-105 and love it. It is not a stand out lens by any means but it is a good all rounder, best for walk around and general travel. I don't think you will gain much replacing it with 24-70 F4. With the money you are throwing away selling your 24-105 and buying a 24-70 F4, you are better off buying another lens like a prime or a macro as you said. With the money you can probably get a 100mm non-IS macro and a 40mm pancake. 40mm Pancake is a great lens, sharp and cheap.

Comment

Thanks, I'd not considered the 40mm STM, I was thinking about the non-IS F2 35mm. The 40 has a UKP25 cash back offer at the mo too.

Comment

If I had to do over, I would go with the 24-70/4. I don't need the 24-105 reach and I have no need of f2.8. I think 24-70 is a nice range for FF everyday shooting.
                    Canon EOS-1V | Canon 5D2 | 17-40/4L | 24-105/4L | 14/2.8L | 24/1.4L | 35/1.4L | 50/1.2L | 85/1.2L | 200-400/4L | 580EX

“For me, the camera is a sketch book, an instrument of intuition and spontaneity.”
                    ― Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
                    X