• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Canon 50mm f1.4

Nat,

Second point first:

Check Chapter 4, Image Settings, subsection ISO Speed:
    Enter the menu system, select Camera III and scroll down to "ISO Speed Setting" and hit the set button, you'll now see a nested menu including both "ISO Speed Range" for manual ISO range, and "Auto ISO Range" for automatic ISO range. Scroll to the desired one, and hit set. You'll now be presented with a screen showing two boxes labelled "Minimum" and "Maximum". Scroll to your desired box and hit set again, then use the up/down keys to select your chosen value, and finally hit set again to save it. Note that whilst the full ISO range (including extension if enabled) is available in manual ISO mode, only the standard ISO (100-25,600) is available in Auto ISO mode.

As for noise-reduction, the 6D offers a variety of techniques, none of which I use! One is to allow the camera to take a series of four images and composite them into a final JPEG file (so called multi-shot NR), this is of limited value unless you have a static subject, ambient lighting, and a tripod. A second option is for in-camera software noise-reduction, available in three levels, but this gives nothing which can't be achieved in post-production using Canon's DPP/ Adobe Lightroom, Adobe Photoshop, or any other decent software with a good deal more control. Additionally, high levels of NR can impact adversely on frame-rate as post-processing is applied at the time of the shot (this is particularly noticeable if you're shooting bracketed images where you can wait an age for the final shot to fire). A third option, Long-Exposure noise reduction, is only for images of 1second or longer and is akin to dark-frame subtraction used by astrophotographers and isn't of any real merit in everyday photography. This technique also doubles the length of each exposure, so a 5 second exposure can only be made every 10 seconds.

Think of Noise Reduction in the same way as you think of exposure, white balance, contrast, sharpness, or any other parameter - you know what you want/need whereas the camera will just apply a predefined algorithm to achieve a basic estimation of what it thinks might be appropriate. Using software in post-production gives you much more control over what you get!
    Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Thanks Steve for this. I am in a bit of a fix here as I have just received an e-mail from the Cathedral communications Director that they would like some images on Sunday night itself for publication on Monday- both in the on line Cathedral blog, plus a hard copy publication which should be at the printers on Monday itself. From this first source of publication I am aware it goes to an USA source and then again from there back to Europe i.e Germany!!! This means that I have to rely on my Jpeg images and will not have time to process the RAW images. Hence my serious consideration of the "in camera" noise reduction on the 6D, setting it to the third level- NOT multi image NR. I might even shoot entirely in Jpeg for this event to speed up the process.

Thanks for the other tip regarding capping the ISO. Yes, I have now got it but I am wondering whether I should leave the ISO on Auto and allow the inhouse NR to give me a clearer image.
      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

The highest level of in-camera NR will "smear" the image, but the results will still be more than adequate for online or 6x4" images at 12,800 ISO, faces can look plasticky though.

As you've severely time constrained I'd be inclined to set level 2 noise-reduction, auto WB, shoot RAW+Fine JPEG, auto ISO (unfettered by any cap), shoot & then distribute the JPEG images. Then, at your leisure, you can fettle selected RAW's for any further use.
        Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

I am aim to take a few more trial shots tomorrow using your settings and see the results on my computer. I will also take a few shots without the auto NR. Atleast I now know the exact area in the Cathedral where the installation is to take place and so I can experiment. Yes, the images MUST be sharp.
          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Working...
          X