New sigma lenses announced

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New sigma lenses announced

I did a little test today and instead of my sigma 150-600 I took out the wife's canon 400mm f5.6L, it's a lens I know well and used for years with good effect so I expected decent results from it especially as it gave me a wider aperture . How wrong I was the first failure was close focus ability ,then the lack of i.s showed as well ,and surprisingly I found the focus virtually no faster than with the big sigma .the only advantage was the weight .
    It's a experiment I won't repeat ,so yes I will be very keenly waiting for this new sigma ,I firmly believe that it's a company that has turned itself around and comparing the old sigma lenses from before the launch of the global range is not really fair .

Comment

I will be very keenly waiting for this new sigma
      With the weight being only 40% of the 150 - 600 Sport, it should be a lot more comfortable to carry around.
      It will be interesting to see how it performs, especially at the long end. All telephotos have lower resolution at the longest focal length, in the 150 - 600 Sport the main difference from the C seems to be the performance at 600 mm where the S has quite an advantage, at shorter focal lengths there's little between them. I suspect that the extra 4 lens elements in the S may be responsible for maintaining the performance up to 600mm. The new lens being a C, may not perform as well at 400 mm.

The latest Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 USM L IS II actually has better resolution at 400 mm than the 400 mm F5.6, which I guess shows how far design progressed in 21 years between their launches. The idea of a zoom out performing a prime would have been unthinkable at one time.

I sometimes wonder how often tele zooms are used at the shorter focal lengths. I suspect that the majority of images with the 150 - 600 are taken at 500 - 600 and 150 - 300 is rarely used. Is it possible to design say a 300 - 600 mm which would be lighter (and perhaps cheaper) than 150 - 600?
      EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard W View Post
        I sometimes wonder how often tele zooms are used at the shorter focal lengths. I suspect that the majority of images with the 150 - 600 are taken at 500 - 600 and 150 - 300 is rarely used. Is it possible to design say a 300 - 600 mm which would be lighter (and perhaps cheaper) than 150 - 600?
        +1 from me. I would have been more than happy with 300-600 or even the rumoured 200-600 Canon offering that doesn't seem to have materialised. I take some shots at less than 300 but very rarely and that's what a second camera is for. A 300-600 that was f5.6 at 600mm would be even better...
        EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

1160 grams, light considering the focal length range, not "light" though, impossible to make a really light lens of that coverage
          Thanks Richard. That is a very impressive weight for me and certainly lighter than my present 70-300mm L lens. I will certainly take a look at this lens when it is available at my local camera shop. The sale of my Canon lens would more than cover the cost of the Sigma 100-400mm lens.
          Last edited by Nathaniel; 23-02-2017, 09:57.
          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Your knowledge on lens design far out ways mine Richard , and what you say makes a lot of sense all round . What you say about the two Canon lenses , regarding the zoom and prime , is one of the reasons I would go for the Canon over the sigma had I got the funds . I own the 400 prime , and though getting long in the tooth now , it performs very well in most circumstances for me , and as the new zoom has the edge and focuses closer it would be a good replacement for me .
            I am surprised you missed the I.S on the 400 Jeff , as at the shutter speeds you were using for the Reed bunting as an example , I don`t see the I.S would make an ounce of difference ? I agree if your fortunate enough to get that close to small birds then the close focusing ability may have held you back , and using it now your 200mm under par compared to your sigma , must be a lot lighter than the 600 zoom though ?

Comment

It likely depends on what you are shooting. I've shot a bit of cricket over the last few years for a friend's club and had numerous occasions when my modest and aged 200-400mm Tamron has proven too long at it's shortest for action that's come close. At that point one really curses the lack of a 100m setting...
              Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Mark I thought I would notice a big diffence with the lighter ,wider canon lens .in practise it was no sharper,no faster and as your that bit further away you lose the frame filling ability of 600 .i never thought I would say it but I really missed the big sigma

Comment

Working...
                X