Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Filter's

Hi There,

I know it's not a lense as such but i was just wondering if anyone could ponit me in the right direction of a decent filter mainly for protection and general photography i.e. UV Type or something.

Thanks for any comments in advance
    Carl

Re: Filter's

Depends how much you want to spend.

I use nothing but Canon L series lenses, so it would seem pointless to put cheap filters on them. So I use Hoya Pro digital range. They are about £40 (not in jessops of course ;-) ).

Comment

Hoya Pro or the Canon Protector range.

I don't bother with any on my lenses, unless there is dust or salt spray in the air, and then I will use the Hoya Pro

A lens hood, fitted the right way round, will give you more protection to your front element, with no optical degradation

Martin

Comment

I have never really noticed any optical degradation when using good filters. I use Canon UV, Protect or 1B (I prefer the last as it is quite 'warm') and Hoya Pro on a couple of lenses.
        www.garywhite-photography.com
        Gary White, MPhil
        Travel Photographer

Comment

hoya hmc pro 1 on all my lenses, from ebay via HK
          Eric

5D2 & BG-E6 / 5D & BG-E4 / Eos 300 & PB-200 / Eos 650 / Canon G9
          17-35mm f2.8 L / Canon 24mm TS-E f3.5 L / 24-70mm f2.8 L / Canon 28-200mm / 50mm f1.4 / 70-200mm f2.8 L IS / 180mm f3.5 L

Comment

I use B+W Multi Coated UV and Sigma DG UV. I cannot detect any difference. The Sigma filters are cheaper. I have never liked Hoya, but that is because the ones I used on my Canon lenses in the days of film, marked very easily. Maybe their latest are OK.

Comment

I tend not to use the best filters when lenses are in hazardouns environments e.g sea spray. Some Canon UV and Protect filters are £60 a throw!
              Gary White, MPhil
              Travel Photographer

Comment

PS Hence I tend to use Hoya HMC for travel
                Gary White, MPhil
                Travel Photographer

Comment

Working...
                X