Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EF100-400mm ii, which IS mode on a monopod?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EF100-400mm ii, which IS mode on a monopod?

Recently treated myself to the EF100-400mm ii lens. Very pleased with it, but not sure about the IS.
    I presume if it is on a tripod, it is switched off? If it is on a monopod, which of the 3 modes should it be set on?
    Janet

Canon 90D, 77D, Plus a load of lenses, especially macro.
    http://www.leighcameraclub.co.uk/

Re: EF100-400mm ii, which IS mode on a monopod?

Position 2 is for panning iirc

Sent from my Mate 10 Pro using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks. What if I am simply using the monopod to support the weight, and photographing birds on water or on a branch?
      Janet

Comment

If your shooting below 1/400 I would leave it on 3 . If your shooting above that a fair deal , you can probably turn the i.s off . That`s just my opinion , I have the 300 2.8 , I leave mine on i.s 3 even if I am using my tripod , but I am normally following or panning with it along with a 2x converter fitted .
        P.S how are you finding the 90D Jan ?

Comment

Thank you. I am loving the 90D. It focuses really quickly , but I might need a bigger external hard drive because of the larger files and what I call Paparazzi mode! Our Camera Club has been doing outings and I’m trying new things like birds and squirrels instead of macro.
          Janet

Comment

That`s the trouble when we upgrade camera bodies , the files normally end up bigger . Would like to know how your 90D handles high iso at 400mm , if you get the time to share your opinion . I just got my 1-400 mkll this week , but my health and weather have kept in the box so far .

Comment

Personally I leave my 100-400 on mode 1 as I hand hold just about all the time, I would use the same setting for a monopod as it is just supporting the weight not providing the stability of a tripod. Mode 2 is for panning and mode 3 is the same as mode 1 but stabilisation is only applied when the shutter is pressed.

Regarding the file storage, if you can find the time use the built in facility to rate your pics (1 to 5 star) to mark the pics you really want to keep, it may save you downloading all the pics all the time. I find that it helps.
              Last edited by Farider; 14-10-2019, 21:53. Reason: Amended
              Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

Thanks Lepus and Farider for taking the time to reply.
                Lepus, I won’t be able to test high ISO until after the weekend.... we have visitors, but will enjoy doing so. I just need to work out how to upload here.
                Farider, I hadn’t thought about star rating. Although in the back of my mind I remember showing a friend who was into photography some images taken on holiday in Marrakesh. There was one taken on a busy evening in Jemma el-Fnaa, I was about to delete it because a lot of the people were blurry, but she pointed out that a man and child were sharp. I had joined the Camera Club that year and won Best Print of the Year!
                Janet

Comment

165 posts and you not posted a photo yet Flikr seems the best way to share here . It`s free to use , and just a question of copying and pasting the right link in your threads here . I only delete in camera if I a 100 % sure it`s a total loss , that little camera screen is no sub for your big monitor screen .

Comment

Jan,

You do not need to turn IS off, the MK2 lens senses if it is on a tripod etc.

A major overhaul of Canon's vernerable 100-400 L zoom that's better across the board. Better image quality, better weather sealing, better IS and faster AF. A go to lens for many wildlife and action photographers.
                    Last edited by TonyT; 16-10-2019, 12:28.
                    Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Thanks Tony , learnt something new there .

Comment

We Aim to please

Forgot to add there are four pages to that link, this explains it one page back

1st page

Last edited by TonyT; 16-10-2019, 15:37.
                        Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Today I decided to test the ISO on the 90D in the local woods. Thought I would use the EF100-400ii lens to test the ISO at 400mm for Lepus. So it squirrels today and find the fungi, then go back tomorrow with macro lenses to do the fungi.
                          The squirrels did not oblige.... too many dog walkers. Never tried fungi on a long zoom hand held before.
                          They are not the sharpest images, but it was fairly dark in the woods.

Presume if you look at it in Flickr you can see the settings I used.

Will now attempt to upload. Biting the bullet!

IMG_0808 hp ov 800px by Janet Harper, on Flickr

IMG_0794 hp ov 800px by Janet Harper, on Flickr

IMG_0811 hp ov 800px by Janet Harper, on Flickr
                          Janet

Comment

Well that all worked quite well Jan Can see the settings you used , You got the hang of Flikr and posting here with no trouble .
                            How did you feel about the high iso setting ?
                            If I may suggest , when you convert and resize for the net and email ect , make the longest edge 1034 pixels . I / we will probably be told different , but that's the ideal size for sharing I have been told . The Squirrel image is a bit small to judge properly , but it looks like plenty of detail has been retained in his fur . Thanks for taking the time to share this with me .

Comment

Hi Lepus. The ISO went really high, but the woods were dark and I quite like the texture. If I were to print any, I’d probably go for a canvas to disguise.
                              I set the camera to show the red squares where it had focused, and those parts were sharp, but the F number was very low, so not all of the fungi are in focus, which was a disappointment.
                              The uploading instructions said to resize to 800px, and that seems to fit the column width on my iPad. If you go to1034px, does it still fit the column?
                              Janet

Comment

Working...
                              X