X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Single Focal Length Lens

Originally posted by colin C View Post
    Brian

I totally disagree with you regarding fast L series lenses.

If my wife ever found out that it was a myth and I didn't really need them .................... she would make my life unbearable! We must stick together and keep this myth alive.

Colin
    For nature shots you need the fast lens as you are further away from the subject and the subjects are smaller ...... that is shown easily in the DOF Calculator.
    Last edited by briansquibb; 02-02-2011, 22:24.
    ef-r

Comment

Look at Macro lenses - Even at f16 when up close to your subject the depth of field is a matter of millimetres!
      5DIII, 5DII with Grips| 24-70 f2.8L MkII | 24-105 f4L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f1.8 | 100 f2.8 | 1.4x MkII | Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4 | 580EX II | 600EX RT | Stofen Diffuser | Manfroto 190 CF Tripod w/490RC2 | Epson R3000 | Lexmark CS 510 DE | Nova 5 AW | Mini Trekker AW | Lowepro x300AW | Lastolite Gear (inc HiLite 6x7) | Elinchrom Studio Gear & Quadras

Comment

OK lets dispel the mth that you need to shoot on a very wide open lens to get a blurred background. Blurred background is all about depth of field. Aperture is only one factor in the DOF.
        I have been taking candid portraits all afternoon with my 70-200f4L. I had to shutdown the aperture to 4.5/5.6 for oblique portraits else the far eye was out of focus.
        It's great when the coin drops, many people get "wide apertureitus" ie they've paid extra for wide aperture lens and they're damm well going to shoot wide open to get their money's worth.
        That's probably why you see do many "one eye soft" pics posted.

Athough well taken isolated head and head and shoulder shots with telephoto lenses tend to impress non photographers and beginners. It's only scratching the surface of the art of portraiture. Personally, I worry that by the time I'm as good as I want to be, I will be too old to carry my kit

Trev
        Last edited by Trevoreast; 03-02-2011, 16:21.

Comment

Originally posted by EOS_Jim View Post
          Hi Nathaniel, I'd say the 85 f1.8 is a much better lens than the 50f1.8.... :) Focus is faster and built better.
          Jim, what I meant was that it was as sharp as the nifty fifty- definition wise. This could be my next buy for a prime lens,for portraits etc, on my cropped bodies.
          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Yeah go for it Nathaniel, £299 New from most reputable suppliers, you can't go wrong !
            Trev

Comment

Nobody has mentioned the 50mm f/1.4 ( actually sharper than the f/1.2 )
              85mmf/1.2 & 135mm f/2.0 extremely sharp.
              85mm f/1.8 almost as good as 100mm f/2.0
              My choice for indoor work (bands etc.) on F/F would be the 50mm f/1.4 - MUCH cheaper than the 1.2, performs better and only half a stop slower!

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel Ramanaden View Post
                Jim, what I meant was that it was as sharp as the nifty fifty- definition wise. This could be my next buy for a prime lens,for portraits etc, on my cropped bodies.
                i think my 85 may be sharper too especially wide open but both are good - certainly not knocking the nifty. On a crop body the 85 is long - too long for most indoor portraits of anything wider than a head and shoulders.

The new Sigma 85 f1.4 is creating some interest
                5DIII, 5DII with Grips| 24-70 f2.8L MkII | 24-105 f4L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f1.8 | 100 f2.8 | 1.4x MkII | Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4 | 580EX II | 600EX RT | Stofen Diffuser | Manfroto 190 CF Tripod w/490RC2 | Epson R3000 | Lexmark CS 510 DE | Nova 5 AW | Mini Trekker AW | Lowepro x300AW | Lastolite Gear (inc HiLite 6x7) | Elinchrom Studio Gear & Quadras

Comment

Sometimes you only want part of the head (usually the eyes) in sharp focus, although in my case I was talking about f2.8 on a 70-200, and at the longer end of that you are some way away. My point is f2.8 is useful for portraits but I have doubts about anything faster except for when you are after something special.

From the DoF page linked earlier in the thread:
                  5D2:
                  200mm f2.8 10yds DoF = 14"
                  135mm f2.8 6yds = 11"
                  100mm f2.8 4yds = 9" (although I'd say 4", see my post linked below)
                  However that's with a CoF for printing a non-cropped image, not for being optimal (see a very long and boring post I did a while back http://www.eos-magazine-forum.com/sh...ll=1#post36356).
                  Plus it's not like it's blurry 6" outside the DoF, just not sharp.
                  If you want the hair blurry behind the face you'll have to work at it a bit.

Oh, sorry, Colin, for the pro look with the eyes sharp and the hair blurry you need at least an 85mm f1.2 (which the page says is 3" at 10' on a 1.3x crop camera, but I'm not sure I agree) - anyway the 50mm f1.2 is nothing like a good enough lens for the money and I focus manually when drunk faster than the 85mm f1.2 (I'd probably bet money on that). BUT 300mm f2.8 is 4" at 37', so you really NEED one of those :-)

John
                  Last edited by DrJon; 03-02-2011, 22:24.

Comment

Originally posted by briansquibb View Post
                    For portraits on the 5D you cannot beat the 135f2L
                    again
                    ef-r

Comment

I believe Canon claim the 85/1.2 is their best portrait lens. I would certainly say it's 100% the best lens to put on a 5DII before taking its portrait!!!
                      (Found an example of that... I kinda want an 85/1.2 just to photograph cameras with it attached to them!) http://www.flickr.com/photos/jean-maurice/3395186987/
                      I'll stick to the 70-200/2.8 II.
                      I think the 135/2 is fine if you have the space to get far enough away.
                      BTW photodo suggest the 70-200 II at 135/2.8 is as sharp as the 135/2 at 2.8, which surprised me considering how highly people seem to rate the 135/2.
                      (70-200 centre/border/extreme @ 135/2.8 is 3454/3124/2954 vs. 135/2 @2.8 3467/2982/2919, the 85/1.2 is scary sharp in the centre at 2.8 but noticeably not as good as the preceding 2 anywhere else, again according to photodo's FF tests.)
                      I suspect the 135/2 is a bit better out-of-focus than the 70-200, but I'll take the zoom and 4-stop stabiliser personally (others may prefer the 135's compactness though).
                      John
                      Last edited by DrJon; 03-02-2011, 22:43.

Comment

Originally posted by DrJon View Post
                        I suspect the 135/2 is a bit better out-of-focus than the 70-200, but I'll take the zoom and 4-stop stabiliser personally (others may prefer the 135's compactness though).
                        John
                        ....brighter viewfinder
                        ...and less than half the price too
                        ef-r

Comment

£900 vs £1800, the man has a point, but zoom, stabiliser and pretty much as sharp as a bunch of primes (all in one lens) works for me... I'm completely happy that people might disagree with me though, that's what a forum is for, letting people see a range of views... I'm just saying what I think and throwing in some factoids from others (are there real facts in all this, hmmm...) here and there...
                          Last edited by DrJon; 03-02-2011, 22:52.

Comment

Bad news if you are shooting at less than 1/125 with a 5DII so is the IS necessary? ..... as Colin C says the zoom is in your feet - 2 strides forward makes it a 50, 2 strides back makes a 200 (well approx)

Mind you I was shooting yesterday with my £400 70-200f4 so perhaps I should have gone with the cheaper option
                            Last edited by briansquibb; 03-02-2011, 22:55.
                            ef-r

Comment

Personally I think IS on short telephotos is very useful, as they magnify all your movement. Plus IS allows lower ISOs on low-movement subjects in poor light (or outdoors at this time of year, as it is known), which gives less noise and more dynamic range (I certainly have a bunch of good shots taken at less than 1/125, where N/DR were important to me and there wasn't much/any subject movement). Also while you can sometimes step closer (not always though - I was shooting Southend Pier from a hill a while back and 200mm was useful) but you can't always step through a wall if 135 proves too long indoors.

I'd probably shoot a non-IS 135 at well over 1/125 if I was after a really sharp shot, and that's without allowing for subject movement (the 1/focal length "rule" isn't perfect, IMHO).

Oh, and before I forget, reasons not to get the 70-200 - it's expensive, big, heavy and white, so not that subtle and people can think you've got a telescope on your camera. Also the 70-200 f4 IS is a stonking lens, and a nice mug, but sometimes f4 is too slow or too much DoF, so swings and roundabouts.

I'm not saying buy lens X over lens Y, just explaining the reasons I did, plus some other observations, in case of interest to the OP.
                              Last edited by DrJon; 03-02-2011, 23:21.

Comment

Originally posted by DrJon View Post
                                IS allows lower ISOs on low-movement subjects in poor light (or outdoors at this time of year, as it is known), which gives less noise and more dynamic range. Also while you can sometimes step closer (not always though - I was shooting Southend Pier from a hill a while back and 200mm was useful) but you can't always step through a wall if 135 proves too long indoors.

I'd probably shoot a 135 at well over 1/125 if I was after a really sharp shot, and that's without allowing for subject movement (the 1/focal length "rule" isn't perfect, IMHO).

I think the discussion was about a lens for portraits?

If I go for full length portraits I use the 24-105. However I tend to go for head and head/shoulders most of the time.

For landscapes I am keen on the 17-40f4, 200 f2.8 and 100-400. On low light days I plump for flash assist
                                Last edited by briansquibb; 03-02-2011, 23:20.
                                ef-r

Comment

Working...
                                X