Single Focal Length Lens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Single Focal Length Lens

Les, You are much younger and fitter than me!!!!!!!! You are also a perfectionist. so for my aging body, I like the convenience of the zooms but I take all your points re primes. I also had a lot of primes with my film cameras and they were brilliant.
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Recently I have been taking my 24-105f4 and 70-200F4 as general purpose lens

It when I have a planned shoot that I take the primes and anything else. For example yesterday I took the 17-40 I was shooting inside Rochester Cathedral and as I was shooting HDR all day I had the tripod - Manfrotto 055XPROB which is large and heavy.

On my class the Canon users all have the 55-250 on their 500d and 550d's which are very light and give decent results - especially when print size is kept down to 7x5. You can start to see the softness creep in at A4
      Last edited by briansquibb; 05-02-2011, 13:18.
      ef-r

Comment

(Yes, I know we're off-topic, but I think the OP's question has been pretty thoroughly answered by now...)

IMHO the 18-55 IS and 55-250 are two of the best bargains in Canon's range. They may have plastic bodies and mechanical focusing motors but the optical quality is way out of their price bracket. Photozone has the 18-55 as sharp as the 17-40 on an APS body. (I have neither, but I have a friend who does.) Quite tough lenses to upgrade from and feel you spent wisely (I guess the 15-85, 17-55 and 24-105 are the main contenders for the 18-55 and the 70-200s and two 70-300 IS non-DO lenses for the longer one).

I do agree about the "in your face" aspect of the 70-200 2.8, but zooms can be very handy (e.g. at the New Year's Day Parade, where you are nailed to a spot and interesting stuff happens at a variety of ranges and in pretty low light - by 3pm I'd stuck a flash on the camera). I seriously considered the 85/1.2 for that sort of low-light event, but for live action the focusing speed was just too slow for me (and I took a bunch of photos with several of them making up my mind). For street photography I'd agree there are better choices than the big and white, although I'm not sure what the perfect lens is. I suspect there isn't one, it would certainly depend on how the photographer likes to work. Perhaps the 17-55 2.8 on a 550D (fast and fairly small) or a Sigma 85/1.4 on a 5DmkII (tried one of those a couple of times too, but didn't quite do it for me)?

John

Comment

For street I find the 5dII and the 135 (without the enourmous hood) works well. I suspect the 85 1.8 would be very innocuous.

Has anyone got a 85 1.8 or a 100f2?
          Last edited by briansquibb; 05-02-2011, 16:19.
          ef-r

Comment

The 85/1.8 is a fine lens :)
            5DIII, 5DII with Grips| 24-70 f2.8L MkII | 24-105 f4L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f1.8 | 100 f2.8 | 1.4x MkII | Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4 | 580EX II | 600EX RT | Stofen Diffuser | Manfroto 190 CF Tripod w/490RC2 | Epson R3000 | Lexmark CS 510 DE | Nova 5 AW | Mini Trekker AW | Lowepro x300AW | Lastolite Gear (inc HiLite 6x7) | Elinchrom Studio Gear & Quadras

Comment

Originally posted by briansquibb View Post
              For street I find the 5dII and the 135 (without the enourmous hood) works well. I suspect the 85 1.8 would be very innocuous.

Has anyone got a 85 1.8 or a 100f2?
              Yes, I have the 100mm f/2.0 - absolutely superb! Along with my 50mm f/1.4- both bought for indoor, lowlight (pubs) work photographing bands - They should be even better now on the 5D Mk II; a bit long on the 50D!

Comment

Without trying to blow smoke up anyones rear end, I would like to say that this thread has been really really interesting reading!!!

It is really valuable for us newbies to be able to read about which lenses the more experienced guys use, for what situation and more importantly, why they use them instead of others.

Buying quality new lenses is a big investment for a lot of people, me included!!! and reading this sort of thread is top quality research from people who have no reason not to tell the absolute truth and what's more it's Free!!

Well Done to all Contributors

Regards Paul

Comment

Ditto Paul. Fully agree.
                  Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

I bought the 1.4 50mm USM Canon last weekend .
                    Use it on my 60D to do some portraits and was very pleased.

Comment

Originally posted by DrJon;38214.
                      I seriously considered the 85/1.2 for that sort of low-light event, but for live action the focusing speed was just too slow for me (and I took a bunch of photos with several of them making up my mind)
                      John
                      I agree it is a (relatively) slow lens, and compared against the 135mm F2 say, it feels steam driven at times, but I think you need to balance the fact that it's a fast lens, therefore in low light it locks onto focus very quick, while other lenses can sometimes hunt to get focus. I would definitely support the notion that it's not much use in fast live action sports for example.

I've always had a fairly pragmatic , functional approach to my gear, but this lens is probably the closest to having an emotional attachment (a bit like the mac fan club ), and I often feel it's like having a Rolls Royce sitting in the garage while you do your everyday motoring in a Ford Focus, just bringing the Rolls out on special occasions, enjoying the feel and pleasure of quality motoring.

Perhaps I need to get out more
                      Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
                      Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Comment

I've always had a fairly pragmatic , functional approach to my gear, but this lens is probably the closest to having an emotional attachment (a bit like the mac fan club ), and I often feel it's like having a Rolls Royce sitting in the garage while you do your everyday motoring in a Ford Focus, just bringing the Rolls out on special occasions, enjoying the feel and pleasure of quality motoring.
                        Les, you should give yourself some of the credit for the great images you produce with your 85 1.2, it's very possible to drive a Rolls Royce badly.

Trev

Comment

I was just saying why I decided against one, for what I wanted to do with it, in case anyone was interested. I don't claim it's applicable to anyone else. The IQ is amazing, but as it focuses too slow for me in good light I can't see it will be any better in low light. I'm all for if you love it then great!

Comment

Working...
                          X