Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Single Focal Length Lens

Hi All,

No doubt this quite possibly has been asked on here before, however I have been unable to find the answer hence my post.

I am considering buying a lens for portraiture and am stuck between the Canon EF50mm f/1.2L USM and the EF85mm f/1.2L II USM.

I already own the EF16-35mm f/2.8L II USM and EF35-350mm f/3.5-5.6L, L Series lenses; which I have had for a few years, hence my immediate reluctance to by another zoom right now.

If you were to choose betwee the first 2 lenses mentioned, which would you select and why? (cost not being an obstacle)

Cheers,
    Ed

Re: Single Focal Length Lens

It could depend numerous factors, camera crop factor, typical working space (distance to subject), type of portraits, head shots or full length. You said you don’t want a zoom, but if you were just a touch less quality conscious, don't mind a heavy lens, and could live without the extra speed, the 70-200 2.8 IS MK2 could possibly cut out the need to buy a few primes 85, 100, and 200mm with less lens changes.

Faced with a straight choice between the 50 and 85 you mentioned I'd have the 85.

Trev
    Last edited by Trevoreast; 02-02-2011, 12:24.

Comment

From those I'd choose the 85 (with a 1x, 1.3x or 1.6x crop camera), but it isn't as much use for other things (e.g. it focuses pretty slowly) as the 70-200 2.8 II so I'd use that instead. (I have the latter and was considering the former, but ruled it out.)
      BTW you could also try the Sigma 85mm f1.4 which is lighter, cheaper and focuses a bit more quickly. (Disclosure - I also decided not to get one of those.)
      John

Comment

Apologies, I should have mentioned, I am using a Canon EOS 5d MK 1

Thanks for your responses thus far, I will most certainly research all of the recommendations.

By the sounds of it, I may also want to consider the 135mm or perhaps a 50mm and a 70-200mm, over time of course, in order to have flexibility with a zoom and more coverage with the 50mm.
        Last edited by Edubya; 02-02-2011, 14:07.

Comment

I ask why choose one of them? your 35-350 will be an outstanding portrait lens - Use it at the long end - step back a bit :)
          5DIII, 5DII with Grips| 24-70 f2.8L MkII | 24-105 f4L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f1.8 | 100 f2.8 | 1.4x MkII | Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4 | 580EX II | 600EX RT | Stofen Diffuser | Manfroto 190 CF Tripod w/490RC2 | Epson R3000 | Lexmark CS 510 DE | Nova 5 AW | Mini Trekker AW | Lowepro x300AW | Lastolite Gear (inc HiLite 6x7) | Elinchrom Studio Gear & Quadras

Comment

Hi Jim,

You are right, it is an outstanding lens however it ca be a bit cumbersome at times and I wanted something with a wider aperature.

I have a few friends who make music, who sometimes ask me to take shots for them for flyers, etc. and the 35mm end of the lens has proved quite useful however, once I start using the zoom, handheld, things can become quite awkward after about 20-30 minutes if working on location as opposed to a controled environment.

I need the freedom to take nice head shots in a studio environment or full length shots outdoors, without having to worry about changing lenses too often.

Generally, if I have an idea what I'm looking for then I can use one lense for the entire shoot however most people find the 35-350mm lens intimidating and one has to get too close to the subject with the 16-35mm, for them to remain comfortable, when I simply want a head shot.

Comment

With a prime (fixed f/l lens) you will find yourself wanting to change lenses MORE often. Also the 85 is a heavy beast too! great however in low light. 135mm f2L could also be an interesting lens but depends what and where you're shooting.

Worth checking out the new Sigma 85 f1.4 lens - a lot cheaper than the canon 1.2L!!

You should not be using wider lenses for portraits - the facial features become distorted when used at anything wider than about 50mm - Longer lenses provide a more pleasing perspective.

24-70 f2.8L, 24-105f4L or even better the 70-20 f2.8L IS are all amazing portrait lenses if you need a low light lens add the 85 f1.8 - a great lens.
              5DIII, 5DII with Grips| 24-70 f2.8L MkII | 24-105 f4L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f1.8 | 100 f2.8 | 1.4x MkII | Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4 | 580EX II | 600EX RT | Stofen Diffuser | Manfroto 190 CF Tripod w/490RC2 | Epson R3000 | Lexmark CS 510 DE | Nova 5 AW | Mini Trekker AW | Lowepro x300AW | Lastolite Gear (inc HiLite 6x7) | Elinchrom Studio Gear & Quadras

Comment

For portraits on the 5D you cannot beat the 135f2L
                ef-r

Comment

24-105 L IS covers both lengths and will/should be adequate for your purposes?
                  Ron

www.severnvalephoto.co.uk

Cameras: 5D, 7D, 1DmkIV, G1X.
                  Lenses: 16-35 F2.8 L, 24-105 F4 LIS, 70-300 LIS, 180 L macro, 200 F2.8 L, 400 F2.8 LIS mkII.

Comment

I think for portraits you want to get to f2.8 to help with blurring out the background (so concentrating on the subject). Going faster than that it becomes an exercise is making sure everything you want is actually in focus, rather than getting stuff you don't want out-of-focus (oof), IMHO.

With a FF body the 70-200 2.8 II is awesome, although some of the other lenses render the oof stuff better, but none do sharp as well... (um, that's not entirely true, if you can get far enough away a 300/2.8 is awesome for portraits).

John

Comment

Have you thought of the Canon EF f1.8 85mm lens. It is as good as the nifty fifty ?
                      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Originally posted by DrJon View Post
                        I think for portraits you want to get to f2.8 to help with blurring out the background (so concentrating on the subject). Going faster than that it becomes an exercise is making sure everything you want is actually in focus, rather than getting stuff you don't want out-of-focus (oof), IMHO.
                        John, I find the longer length of the 24-105 more useful for blurring the background.

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel Ramanaden View Post
                          Have you thought of the Canon EF f1.8 85mm lens. It is as good as the nifty fifty ?
                          Hi Nathaniel, I'd say the 85 f1.8 is a much better lens than the 50f1.8.... :) Focus is faster and built better.

Comment

OK lets dispel the mth that you need to shoot on a very wide open lens to get a blurred background. Blurred background is all about depth of field. Aperture is only one factor in the DOF.

I have been taking candid portraits all afternoon with my 70-200f4L. I had to shutdown the aperture to 4.5/5.6 for oblique portraits else the far eye was out of focus.

The human head is about 300mm deep, 200mm for the oblique shot. Get that as the DOF for the right distance and the background will be blurred! The further you are from the subject the bigger the DOF at a fixed aperture. for headshots it is not necessary to get a fast L series lens - this can be done with a 55-250IS lens.Not convinced yet? - try http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html. For my 135 I find 12feet gives a head shot on the 5DII and therefore f5.6

Here is a sample shot with my 5dII and 70-200@200, 1/160, iso 400, f4.5. This full frame uncropped

ef-r

Comment

Brian

I totally disagree with you regarding fast L series lenses.

If my wife ever found out that it was a myth and I didn't really need them .................... she would make my life unbearable! We must stick together and keep this myth alive.

Colin
                              Colin

Comment

Working...
                              X