Choosing a New Lens - Using Statistics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Choosing a New Lens - Using Statistics

There is a perpetual dilemma amongst many amateur and hobbyist photographers who own cameras with interchangeable lenses, which lenses to own.

We all want a 10-1000 f/2 that weighs 500g and has to-die-for IQ. Oh and costs £400. Okay we can’t have that. There are a few super zooms (18-300) but they will be by definition compromised; either in IQ, autofocus speed or maximum aperture. They may be useful on some occasions however. So then we are into a two (or three) lens scenario. So how do we choose?
    Well I for one use a statistical method. If you’ve already got a good collection of images you can let one of these applications analyse your collection. It will show in graphs which focal lengths you use most (and which ISO, Shutter speed and aperture).

From this you can make a more considered decision on which lens / lenses to purchase. It’s then likely to be dictated by your budget alone.

So try something like ... ExposurePlot ... you may be surprised at what focal lengths you use.

Re: Choosing a New Lens - Using Statistics

Very interesting indeed. Thanks for sharing.
    Do feel free to comment on any of my contributions.
    EOS-500D. Flickr: _rutger_

Comment

I ran it on a bunch of photos and it concluded:

(1) I shoot mostly at ISO 100 or 400 and only a little at other sensitivities.

(2) I shoot mostly between f2.8 and f8 and mostly at whole stops (presumably due to using Aperture priority), f4 27%, f5.6 20%, f9 11% and f2.8 10%

(3) The most common shutter speed is 1/200 (17%) then a fairly even spread from 1/50 to 1/1000

(4) Focal lengths:

BTW I suspect the bar marked 110 is actually 105 on a 24-105. Also confirms I've never put the 2x Extender on the 70-200.

John
      Last edited by DrJon; 25-05-2011, 19:13.

Comment

From what I can see ExposurePlot only works on JPEG and not RAW unless I am missing something

David
        David

Comment

Many utilities require JPEGs (with EXIF intact) and it sounds like ExposurePlot is no different. So I use the batch facility in DPP to do that from time to time (convert RAW to JPEG). Effectively keeping an 'unofficial' backup set (albeit JPEGs) as a byproduct.
          Last edited by MX5; 26-05-2011, 06:26.

Comment

Yup, only JPEG, luckily I usually shoot both, well, except for my poor hard drives...

Comment

Working...
            X