Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New DSLR owner

Hi, everyone,

I've just bought my first digital SLR, a Canon 550D and am learning how to use it.
    I bought the body only, as I have several lenses which I have used with my EOS 3 film camera for sime time.
    I am disappointed to find that my two Sigma lenses, a 24mm and 200mm, do not work with the body. I get the error 01, communication fault between lens and camera, clean the lens contacts. All my Canon lenses work fine.
    Does this mean if I want to use Sigma lenses with the 550D, they must be made for a digital body and I need to spend some more money on wide angle and telephoto lenses?
    I do a lot of landscape photography and have found the Sigma 24mm lens superb with my EOS 3 for this.

Any comments and advice would be most welcome.

I have been registered with the forum for some time as an interested reader, but have not posted before. I have enjoyed reading the posts and have learnt a lot!!

Cheers

Re: New DSLR owner

Some of the more experienced guys will no doubt be along soon but as far as I can recall, a lot of the older Sigma lens that were designed and used in the days of film SLRs will not work on modern DSLRs.

That was my experience.

Comment

I used to love my CANON 24MM on my film cameras too but on your crop sensor body this equates to 15mm to get the same angle of view. So you really need one of the popular 10--20, 22 or 24mm wide-angle zooms.

Comment

Hi tyke and welcome to the forum.
        When I first moved from a Canon film camera film to the 350D my old Canon lenses worked OK on the 350D for about three years then they stopped working which was my "justification" to upgrade to the 50D.
        Doesn't solve your problem with the Siggys though and I cannot help but I am sure someone will come along with an answer.

David
        David

Comment

If I recall correctly Sigma have reprogrammed some of their lenses to work with certain recent Canon bodies, I'd suggest sending them an e-mail with the details of body and lenses...
          John

Comment

Hi Tyke and welcome....My friend uses a lot of sigma lenses,,I do belive you can get them chiped to work with you DSLR..it might be worth getting in touch with sigma or enquire at you local dealer.

Peter
            There will be times when you will be in the field without a camera. And, you will see the most glorious sunset or the most beautiful scene that you have ever witnessed. Don't be bitter because you can't record it. Sit down, drink it in, and enjoy it for what it is!

Comment

Many thanks to everyone for your welcome and replies. I have sent an email to Sigma. I will post again if and when I have a reply.

Comment

Reply from Sigma says that the parts are no longer available for my lenses, so they cannot be rechipped. Alas, then, I am unable to use them with my new camera.

Can anyone suggest a suitable lens to take the place of the 24mm lens?? I prefer a prime lens if possible for my landscape work, but if cost is prohibitive, a zoom would have to do.

Any suggestions would be gratefully accepted.

Comment

First problem is that 24mm on your EOS3 means you need 15mm on your 550D because of it's 1.6 crop factor. So that means looking at the Canon 10-22 or Sigma 10-20 as a starting point. As cost of a prime in this area may not be within budget.

Comment

The Canon 14mm is full-frame, insanely expensive and I think a waste of money for an APS camera (I do have one, but on a 5DmkII). I suspect it's down to the 10-22 which has amazingly low distortion or the 15-85 which is a little sharper but distorts at the wide end (which can be fixed afterwards, but you might prefer not to have to). They are both good lenses.
                    John

Comment

Working...
                    X