Lenses to carry for types of photography

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lenses to carry for types of photography

Here's an idea, people keep asking what is a good lens/lenses to buy. Why don't we have a thread where people say what they went to photograph, what lenses they carried, which they didn't use, which of their lenses they wished they'd taken with them and what lens they would have liked to have had to take with them. (Plus perhaps how much they loved/hated the weight.)

Example - went to look around a scenic village and take some photos.

Took:
    Camera - 5DmkII (Full Frame)
    14 mk II
    24-105

Unexpectedly also ran across a vintage car show and walked up a nearby hill to a landmark. Climbed up the landmark, where a 70-200 would also have been useful. Did use both lenses. Mostly glad I didn't have the 70-200 as it was a lot of walking. Also first outing for my Retrospective 10 bag and it was a good choice.

I shot quite a bit at both ends of the 24-105. (I just checked, I took 240 photographs, so handy I didn't use film - although I'd have done a lot less if so.) I only used the 14 for 23 of them. I shot a fair bit at 105mm (I suspect mostly when I was missing the 70-200) but generally used the whole range of the 24-105. Okay, I'll go do the pic:

Hope that's interesting to some people!
    John
    Last edited by DrJon; 05-06-2011, 08:19. Reason: Typo fixed (th->the), said 5D2 is FF

Re: Lenses to carry for types of photography

Here's my Portraits Gears

I often shoot Zoom lens (24-105 or 70-200) on the 1DIV due it to its crop sensor, and often shoot Telephoto on the 5DII

my most used portraits lens must be the 70-200mm due to its versatility, however, if i can be bothered carrying the load, then nothing will surpass the quality of the 200mm F2. For crystal clear portraits nothing will stop me from using the 135mm F2....These are my three most used PORTRAITS LENS.

The 85mm 1.2 is in a class of its own where i find most of its use for low light and dawn portraits (without flash). That being said, I will notdis-regard the 24-105mm + Flash for small parties due to its portability and versatility.

Onto the bodies;

My work horse must be the 5DII, Absolutely stunning, especially with telephoto lens. However due to its lack of speed, it's most likely be sitting home whenever I go for a shoot at large busy events.
    the 1DIV is Great in every aspect except its PRICE.......this is my most used bodies for photo shoot due to its ability to capture every momments due to its ISO and Speed.

However my most used/carrying around camera body must be the CANON 60D.........versatile in every aspect; EXCELLENT PICTURE/VIDEO QUALITY, Excellent Portability and excellent in price.
    My Canon Gears: 1DX, 1DIV, 5DIII, 5DII, 60D, 200mm F/2L IS USM, 70-200mm F/2.8L IS II USM, 24-70mm F/2.8L II USM, 85mm F/1.2L II USM, 135mm F/2L USM, 24-105mm F/4L IS USM, 2 x 580EXII Flash, Canon ST-E2, Canon SB-E2 bracket, ELINCHROM, B+W Filters.

Comment

Wow! That is quite a collection. I asume you take photo's for a living?
      With kind regards,
      Friso

Canon EOS 70D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 | Canon EFS 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6mm IS STM | Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 |

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128548396@N08/

Comment

John

You have far too much time on your hands .................. but as ever, we are grateful for your thoughts.

I was out yesterday at the Hawk Conservancy Trust with 2 bodies and 2 lenses. A 1D MKIII and a 1D MKIV. A 300 MM f2.8 and a 500mm f4. The lenses were swapped on the bodies a couple of times, so that I always used the MKIV as the prime body with the most appropriate lens, using the MKIII as the back-up.

Checking the EXIF information, I took 19 shots with the 300mm and 41 with the 500mm. On the bodies, I took 5 with the MKIII and 55 with the MKIV.

I missed out on a few shots because neither would focus close enough and I didn't have my 70 - 200mm f2.8 IS with me, but there wouldn't have been time enough to change lenses and my spare 1 series body is for film.

All in all, I got it about right. In a mixed wildlife application, I would generally use the 500mm 2:1 over the 300mm and this bears it out. In a hide, I would be just about exclusively 500mm, plus extenders.

Colin
        Colin

Comment

Colin - I'm unbelievably and insanely buried, so perhaps in denial about the workload :-) but today I was waiting for someone to come to look at the car I'm selling, so this was taking my mind off it... plus having aborted what I planned to do, which was have an actual break for a change (well, -ish, more doing a fun chore). BTW it turns out "we'll have a quick chat and call you" means "goodbye and thanks for all the fish"... Also I was hoping you'd answer this as I was really interested to see what you'd say. No extenders?
          John

Comment

Why don't we have a thread where people say what they went to photograph, what lenses they carried, which they didn't use, which of their lenses they wished they'd taken with them and what lens they would have liked to have had to take with them.
            Always use the lens/lenses I carried, Usually wish I had taken something that I do not own.

Comment

I take as few lenses as possible, I think of the pics I'm going to get, and take the bare minimum.
              I never wish I'd taken something I don't own. I'm only out to get pics I know are possible with whatever kit I've decided to carry.

It's a cantradiction in terms; I know. You can be prepared for every eventuality, and not really ready for anything.
              Maybe it's just me :-)
              Trev

Comment

Originally posted by Trevoreast View Post
                It's a cantradiction in terms; I know. You can be prepared for every eventuality, and not really ready for anything.
                Trev
                That's a bit oblique ....................... but I know what you mean.

Take the minimum and use it to the maximum.

Colin
                Colin

Comment

Colin this is an interesting, worthwhile subject, but it's past my bedtime. :-)

I'll be back tomorrow :-)

Trev

Comment

If I'm rambling then the Marmite 17-40L on 40D
                    Other situations, normally a 7D plus:
                    If I'm touring then the 24-105L plus 300L
                    If I'm doing nature the 300L, 1.4x (and a G10 for closer shots) [Although the 24-105L will probably be in t'bag].
                    If I'm going into a transport museum the 10-20 Sigma.

Comment

Trev
                      Reminds of the outdoor person I once knew. He carried almost everything (I'm fairly bad in what I carry on a ramble, but 20 to 25 kg is enough!). Anyway he suffers an injury and debags to get medical kit out .... and bag goes rolling down hill into fast moving stream never to be seen again.

Comment

I’m all for analysing focal lengths used, along with a list of other variables for choosing what lenses to buy and to help decide what to carry I welcome the OPs thread.
                        The issue I raised about the number of lenses carried is probably off topic, it was late.

Reminds of the outdoor person I once knew. He carried almost everything (I'm fairly bad in what I carry on a ramble, but 20 to 25 kg is enough!). Anyway he suffers an injury and debags to get medical kit out .... and bag goes rolling down hill into fast moving stream never to be seen again.
                        Good example ! :-)
                        Carrying too much gear, too many possibilities, too many variables, has so often been counter productive for me :-)
                        Trev

Comment

I think one has to do some ground preparation before deciding on what gear to take, esp if you are going abroad on holiday etc. First think of (a) where are you going (b) what do you intend seeing (c) Any eventualities(d) What weight are you prepared to carry. Once these have been assessed you can load you camera bag appropriately. Of course if you are driving in your car you can take all what you like. If you are rambling like MX5 then you have to re-assess your priorities.
                          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

I take as few lenses as possible, I think of the pics I'm going to get, and take the bare minimum.
                            I never wish I'd taken something I don't own. I'm only out to get pics I know are possible with whatever kit I've decided to carry.

Trev
                            Being new to photography with just one camera and one lens, here's a thought I share. Being a fisherman, my bag is 10kg worth of equipment, but I end up using the same 4-5 lures over the entrire trip, really just a few grams worth of equipment being used.

Comment

Originally posted by MX5 View Post
                              This reminds of this fellow who trying to show off at Blyde River canyon,(South Africa) dropped his camera bag down the ravine- never ever to be seen again.

Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Working...
                              X