sigma 500mm lens compatabilty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sigma 500mm lens compatabilty

Me again! i think i now have enough money together to get myself a sigma 500mm lens , my dumb question for the day is do i have to be concerned about which one will fit my 1000d as they seem to have loads of letters after the name, by that i mean as long as it`s a canon fit will it work fine auto focus etc, i`d hat e to buy it and find there are noncompatable versions, many thanks Harvey

Re: sigma 500mm lens compatabilty

Having had no experience with this lens I will stick my neck out and say that you'll be safe enough.
    If I remember correctly I think its an f4.5 lens which means that it will certainly AF on your 1000D

Mike
    www.mstphoto.zenfolio.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27554645@N05/

Comment

Harvey - some (even Canon fit) Sigma lenses (and Tamron for that matter) don't communicate (in an electrical-computer way) correctly with the camera body. More recent lenses that don't can be rechipped ... but older ones can't be. So if it's a new one you should have no problems. If it's been previously enjoyed ... then check the serial number with Sigma UK.

Make sure you get a lenshood (if you fall into that camp) and a filter (again if you use filters). ColinC writ somewhere on these pages about how to hand hold these beasts (well his Canon monsters) ... there is a knack. But you may prefer a tripod/monopod.

Comment

It wil be a used lens as new I certainly above my budget

Comment

Just a follow up to this , i contacted sigma uk to ask the same question especially as i`ve seen these lenss for sale with a reference to having them rechipped; to be told the service for rechippimg is no longer available as parts are no longer available

Comment

Then caveat emptor ... therefore you must try the lens (on YOUR camera) before you part with your hard earned.

Comment

I fully agree with MX5
              Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Good luck.

There are a few secondhand mint ones out there and a lot that have been badly abused. Hope you get a good one.

Colin
                Colin

Comment

Working...
                X