Lens Creep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lens Creep

My 7 year old EF 24-105 f4L has started to creep when using it in a vertical position.
    If looking down at 24mm gravity will move it out to 105mm if not constrained which can be a bit of a nuisance. If looking up it goes the other way!

Does anyone else have the problem and, if so, how do you prevent creep other than a wide rubber wristband round the barrel?
    Bob

EOS 6D mkII, EOS 6D, BG-E13 Grip, EOS 30 (Film), EOS M5, EF-M 22mm f2.0, EF-M 18-150mm, 35mm f2.0 IS, 50mm f1.8 STM, 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L IS, 70-200f4 L IS, 430EX II, 270EX II, Manfrotto 190XDB +496RC2 tripod, Op Tech straps & Think Tank bags.

Mine behaved like that from new - I believe it to be a general characteristic of the lens
    John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Mine does, don't see it a problem
      Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

. Yep mine does that too. Not an issue for me.
        Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Originally posted by antoeknee View Post
          . Yep mine does that too. Not an issue for me.
          Same here.

Comment

I’m a bit late to this party

My copy does this it only becomes a problem when pointing the camera vertically either up or down to compose your image, I don’t do many straight up shooting but I have on occasions laid on my back to get a shot of a church/cathedral roof

I ’m sure this is the norm for the 24-105. I believe it is also one of the causes of a ribbon cable failure within some copies of the lens that created aperture issues and the fix for that was a replacement of the ribbon cable.

I have read some online reports that Canon Repair Centres have made adjustments that tightened the zoom mechanism to people’s copies of the lens.

A cheaper option is to fit a band (think wrist band) around the lens, even cheaper option is to just ignore it if you can.
            Last edited by ST-EOS; 02-05-2020, 05:55.
            Peter

Feel free to browse my
            Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Thanks for all your responses. It’s good to know that I’m not alone with this. I don’t do many shots where it happens and will carry a wristband in my bag in future.
              I did have a ribbon failure on holiday in France in my film days resulting in me buying a used nifty fifty in Lyon to keep me going. I’ve still got it!
              Bob

EOS 6D mkII, EOS 6D, BG-E13 Grip, EOS 30 (Film), EOS M5, EF-M 22mm f2.0, EF-M 18-150mm, 35mm f2.0 IS, 50mm f1.8 STM, 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L IS, 70-200f4 L IS, 430EX II, 270EX II, Manfrotto 190XDB +496RC2 tripod, Op Tech straps & Think Tank bags.

Comment

I've never noticed this on mine but then I'm usually holding it! I always support the weight of my cameras by holding them under the lens.

Comment

Originally posted by collywobbles View Post
                  I've never noticed this on mine but then I'm usually holding it! I always support the weight of my cameras by holding them under the lens.
                  Good point but this happened when I was shooting vertically down using a tripod.
                  It appears to be common with this lens.
                  Bob

Comment

That is annoying...especially when using a tripod as you say.
                    The new RF version has a lock but that only works in the 24mm position....but the barrel is pretty tight, maybe just not worn yet.
                    I would have thought it is bad engineering to use the ribbon cable (designed for electronic comms) for mechanical resistance of the zoom.
                    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Originally posted by @imagesBV View Post
                      That is annoying...especially when using a tripod as you say.
                      The new RF version has a lock but that only works in the 24mm position....but the barrel is pretty tight, maybe just not worn yet.
                      I would have thought it is bad engineering to use the ribbon cable (designed for electronic comms) for mechanical resistance of the zoom.
                      Maybe this could be the reason to update all my stuff to Mirrorless + RF lenses....................now that's a thought!
                      Bob

Comment

That’s a very good idea...unless you do lots of action shooting.
                        Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

I've had this lens for over 10 years and never noticed a problem. However, having read this I started taking more notice over the past few days on my walks. When it's being carried over my shoulder, it definitely does extend out. When I'm actually using it, even pointing vertically downwards, it seems fine.

John

Comment

I think some lens creep when being jolted by walking is inevitable....the mass of the internal lens and acceleration and thus force due to gravity will give movement without some sort of mechanical lock.....probably good for another 10 years I'd say.l
                            Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

Working...
                            X