2 x Converter MK3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 x Converter MK3

I am contemplating buying the 2 x converter for use with my 70-200L is Mk2 and 5D Mk3. I am interested to know what experiences other users have had with the converter especially regarding the affect on aperture. At present I use a Sigma 100-500 for reach but am happy to loose a bit of reach to have the quality of Canon. I will apreciate any feedback please.

Can’t help with the 2x but I do have the 1.4x and that works very well with my 100-400, you loose 1 stop on the 1.4x and 2 stops I believe on the 2x. Any loss in quality for the 1.4x is insignificant.

Ian
    Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

Thanks Ian

Comment

I use the 1.4x both on the 100/400 and 70/200 and have no problems. A friend of mine got a 2x, I've used it, but was not impressed, you loose two stops. He finds that with his 1.4x he's OK hand holding but with the 2x its a bit of a problem.
        Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

1.4 is really good. Have used with 70-200 2.8 and it works fantastic. As mentioned you loose 1 stop but AF seems unaffected, still fast and accurate. If there is any effect on image quality it's very minimal.

From memory the 2x was the poor relation.
          Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

I use a 2x mklll on my 300F2.8 on a 5Dmklll , and I rarely take it off . AF is slower than the 1.4 or the bare lens , but not drastic and results can be very good to my eyes . It`s worth stopping down a stop or so , on the 300 , F7.1 is said to be the chosen aperture for example .

Comment

Thanks for all your views I really appreciate your time

Comment

I have both extenders and am happy to use the 1.4x anytime and on any of my telephoto lenses. The 2x I am a bit more cautious with. I have had some terrible results, but in fairness, that was in terrible conditions, where I was fighting for some light and using it was almost an act of desperation. In good light and the right conditions, the MK III version can deliver some very good results, but you need to give a fair crack of the whip.

Although I have plenty of rubbish shots with the 2x, this was taken at ISO 3200 manually focussed on an 800mm with a 2x, giving a total of 1600mm and F11. Struggling a bit for light and having no auto focus available, I didn't expect much and was rather surprised how well it came out.

C18I6708c by colin cross, on Flickr
                Colin

Comment

So it just goes to show the 2x in the hands of an expert is a nice bit of kit
                  Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
                  https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
                    I have both extenders and am happy to use the 1.4x anytime and on any of my telephoto lenses. The 2x I am a bit more cautious with. I have had some terrible results, but in fairness, that was in terrible conditions, where I was fighting for some light and using it was almost an act of desperation. In good light and the right conditions, the MK III version can deliver some very good results, but you need to give a fair crack of the whip.

Although I have plenty of rubbish shots with the 2x, this was taken at ISO 3200 manually focussed on an 800mm with a 2x, giving a total of 1600mm and F11. Struggling a bit for light and having no auto focus available, I didn't expect much and was rather surprised how well it came out.

C18I6708c by colin cross, on Flickr
                    That a brilliant shot. I would not be able to get that even if the bird posed for me.

Comment

I would not be able to get that even if the bird posed for me.
                      Yes you would.

Kingfishers are creatures of habit and territorial. They have favourite perches within their territory, so observe and wait for something to happen. Often, nothing does, but sometimes they will perch, leave and come back, maybe leave and come back many times. If you are ready for some action, invariably you get the shot as they arrive, perch, or leave.

Just a little patience and concentration.
                      Colin

Comment

Working...
                      X