Lens dilemma...any wise thought?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lens dilemma...any wise thought?

So I've rationalised my camera body and lens collection ...and feeling much better for the clear out.

I'm not doing weddings....just projects, Alamy and travel photography

So I now have the EOS R and 24-105L as my base system.....its probably all I ultimately need.

but the dilemma is for longer focal lengths for Grandchildren's football and sports, dogs etc....or invest in a superb prime

so my choice is either a
    - EF70-300L (I already have the EF/RF adaptor)...import £800
    - RF70-200 f2.8L...import £1800....no adaptor, latest tech etc.....budget completely spent.
    - EF 70-300 MkII ......import £350....but not 'L' like image quality
    - RF 50mm f1.2....import £1500..(blow the longer reach, 24-105 reaches enough)....its better than a nifty fifty and probably stunning

what do you think?
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

I think that I would go for the RF 70-200 as its quality will match that of the R, anything less may leave you regretting the decision (always go for the best quality lense you can). The RF50mm will be very good but unless you know of a specific need for a lense faster than 2.8 it would seem to me to be difficult to justify. Just my thoughts.

Ian
    Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

I agree with Ian for exactly his reasons.

I have tried the 70-300L. Nice enough but not a solid performer.
      The 70-300 MKII is quite good, but not if you are used to L glass.
      The 50mm 1.2L is probably a lens you want ............. rather than need!

Therefore, for all the right reasons, go for the RF70-200 F2.8. You were going that route anyway, but just wondered what our thoughts were.
      Colin

Comment

Thanks Ian and Colin.
        yes I want to go with the 70-200mm because its the latest design, control ring, no adaptor needed, nice size... but its the least best bang for my buck.
        Having just one adapted lens means the adaptor could stay on permanently so not a problem rationally....which is why I looked at the 70-300L (same size, weight as the RF 70-200 but a bit more reach but 10 year old design)
        I've had the 50 f1.2L and put it to good use.....as Ian says I never really needed faster than f2.8...but its not because I needed to it was just a choice...... I'm sure there will be a sensibly priced nifty fifty for RF eventually.

I'm fairly convinced that the RF70-200 is the way to go...thanks!
        Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

Are the sports indoors (70-200 II slightly used) or outdoors (100-400 II)?
          Or have you won the lottery... 200 f/2 !!

Comment

Just checked my numbers.....and no lottery win...again!
            I’ve ordered the RF70-200......expensive but is best long term, latest technology and I do like the control ring....so I can use that for aperture and the body dials for Tv and ISO......With 30Mp and good glass I can crop more which negates the need for extra focal length to a significant degree.
            Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

Well done Brian. Let's hope Postman Pat gets a spurt on.
              Colin

Comment

Dispatch confirmation received on Thursday.....by next working day.....not delivered yet, its got to be tomorrow hasn't it .............oh the anticipation........Its like a never ending drum roll !!
                Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

Working...
                X