Warning: Undefined array key "birthday_search" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "joindate" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "posts" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "posts" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "privacy_options" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "lastactivity" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in .../vb5/route/profile.php on line 74 Canon 500 f4 mk1 Good option? - EOS magazine forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canon 500 f4 mk1 Good option?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canon 500 f4 mk1 Good option?

Hi. Just looking for a bit of advice. I currently use a Sigma 150-600 sport lens which I find very good when the light is good. Most of the shots I take with it are at 500-600mm. I have been considering getting a 500mm prime. But I can probably only stretch to a MK 1 version. I am aware the mk1 version is old and I don’t believe is supported by canon any more.
    For those that have or have used this lens - is it a good upgrade option with regards to Af, image quality OR am I asking for trouble going for such an old lens. I have seen them for about £2900 with 12 m warranty.

all comments welcome.

Thanks

Guy
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/123741420@N06/

I believe TonyT on here has got that model which he uses regularly on his 1DX for wildlife shots.I'll text him tomorrow to look out for your thread.

I know he's usually got a 1.4x TC on with that combo.
    Last edited by Guest; 06-07-2020, 21:05.

Comment

I used one for many years until I traded it towards my 200-400mm. It never let me down and produced some stunning images. Even coupled to a 1.4x, the image quality was stunning. AF was fast and hardly ever hunted. A little bit weighty compared to the later versions, but I still managed to hand hold it.

I can't directly compare with the Sigma as I have never used one, but I suspect the faster F4 will result in much quicker AF.
      Colin

Comment

Thanks for the comments. Should I be concerned with reliability as it is a mk1.

Guy

Comment

I own and use one, it's a cracking lens, heavy but thats the only downside I can see, I use mine more or less exclusively on a monopod.
          I have owned it for about 5 years plus after purchasing it used from London camera exchange. Not had a single issue, check its all there and working, the lens hood alone would cost you about £500. so check its not damaged and screws in ok. It can take filters at the rear, gel or otherwise, if you want the slot in polariser that is about £200 as well, It should come with a strap and its own case. remember use the lens strap not the cameras, a lot of weight to hang on a camera.
          I wouldn't worry that canon no longer repair them as I think the likes of these people do.

The other thing is they do seem to hold their value well. If you are anywhere near Derby I could let you try mine on your body. it works superbly with a 1.4x Mk3 on (700mm) and you hardly notice and reduction in focus, the x2 Mk3 you do and you only get the centre focal point on my 1dx.
          The original front lens cover is like a horses nosebag, I managed to get a MK2 version for mine.

if you look at my bird shots, most are using it and the 1.4, see

Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Protection wise I recommend these from these guys, some require you to stick bits to the camera near the lens mount, bit this stretches over it in one piece, used on mine since I got it and still looks like new.

Neoprene camera lens covers for Canon lenses adds protection and camouflage to valuable lenses
            Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Thanks for the reply Tony. I only live in Leicestershire so could meet for a try if the offer is still open. Away for the next week. PM me you are still happy for me to try.

Guy

Comment

That should be doable

Comment

Working...
                X