Tilt shift lens with APS-C Sensor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tilt shift lens with APS-C Sensor

Does anyone have experience of using a tilt shift lens with a crop sensor camera? How well does it work?
    Using Tapatalk

I have a 90mm TS-E that I’ve used successfully on my EOSR but I haven’t tried it on my 80D yet, I’ll give it a go over the next day or so and let you know how I get on.

Ian
    Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

I’ve tried the tilt and shift on my 80D and it works fine. As with any APS-C format you get the 1.6 crop factor coming in to play so that needs to be taken into account but fitting and operating it was not a problem at all on the 80D. The only caveat I have is that the lense shift control may well be difficult to operate if it is on top as the camera flash will get in the way, just place it underneath instead and it’ll be ok. Whether this will be an issue or not will I think depend on the design of lense you have, in older designs of lense there is less freedom on changing the planes where the tilt and shift work. The tilt control is further forward and not an issue.
      These lenses are manual focus only so you need to use the magnification facility to check that the focus is absolutely correct but that will apply whatever format camera you are using. If you were doing close work you would probably need to use external lighting or flash as I think that the size of the lense would most likely cast a shadow from any built in camera flash.
      I only have an 80D to try it on so that’s what I can report on, they may also be applicable to other APS-C models as well so you may need to check if you have a different one.

Ian
      Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

Thank you Ian, that is very helpful, especially the tip about the shift control positioning. I'll still have to ponder a while as the lenses are a lot more than any others I have.

Bob
        Using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
        X