24 - ?mm What to buy/keep?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

24 - ?mm What to buy/keep?

I have a EOS R6. It came with a 24-105 RF STM. The chance came my way to buy a S/H 24-105mm RF F4 L, which I did, intending to sell the kit lens. In a couple of months I am going to Canada (Maritimes) on holiday and want to reduce what I take. I thought that I would sell one (both?) of my lens and get the 24-240mm RF as a single carry lens. The alternative would be to take one (probably the STM - it's light) and my 70-200mm IS L EF for which I have a 2x Extender. I am confused! I want a suitable kit or the holiday, but be in a good position when I get back. Money is a factor. I can't really afford to own three (two?) 24 - ?mm lenses. What do I do? What would you do?

I think if I was in you position I would go for the 24-240, this would give you good coverage from WA to semi telephoto. You don’t say what your subject would be or is it just anything that comes along.
    Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

I am a big fan of the RF 24-240 and the R6 combo, which is just perfect for travelling.
      With this you could sell both the kit lens 24-105 and the 24-105 as you honestly won’t miss the “L”factor unless you blow it up to look at a mosquito at 300 paces.Nina Bailey did a great review of this lens in the magazine a couple of years ago and agrees with me (!)
      if you wanted a little sweetie the RF 16mm is tiny, light and cheap at £300 and would do you for wide open spaces and sunsets.
      The EF 70-200 is heavy, even without the extender, needs an RF adapter and you’ll spend each day wondering whether it’s a 24-105 day or a 70-200 day, and getting it wrong
      Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

Having had L primes and zooms (EF versions with 5DMkIV and RF 24-105L and RF70-200 f2.8L with R6).....I have reduced my kit due to value for money and weight.
        I now have an R6 with RF24-105 STM, RF 100-400 STM zooms and RF 16 STM, RF50 STM and RF600STM primes.
        Image quality has not been an issue at all. I would however not deny that the smoothness of out of focus areas is better on the L series.
        The other aspect to note is the RF STM zooms are much slower than L versions...so you will need to use higher ISO or slower shutter speeds, and its a bit more difficult to achieve nice bokeh (you will have to rely on subject to background distance more) I bought the RF 50 STM f1.8 in case I need shallow depth of field.
        The STMs are not a strong and protected from impact damage.

If you trade your RF24-105L you could probably buy an RF100-400 and RF 50 f1.8 with the proceeds
        (I would get an instant quote from MPB and check prices of new at HDEW for best value)

The RF 24-240 for your travel needs is a good idea - I would add a 50 f1.8STM for when you want creative shallow depth of field.
        Or RF 24-105 and RF 100-400 with a 50mm STM - I can personally vouch for this set up....it provides extra 160mm zoom range.
        Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

brianvickers | Flickr

see my latest uploads using STM 24-105, STM100-400 and the 16mm which I bought yesterday
          Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

I’d agree with Bo, the RF 24-240 would be an great travel lens, mine gets a lot of use and it gives excellent results. Recommended.

Ian
            Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

Thank you for your interesting replies, they have helped. Just to give a little more information: I have a 17-40mm EF L, a 100-400 EF L, an 11mm IRIX and a Sigma 105mm Macro as well. None of those are going on holiday with me.

The logical plan seems to be to sell the 17-40, both 24-105s and the 70-200 (F4) and to buy a 16mm RF STM, and the 24-240mm.RF STM.

The real sticking point for me is that, having saved up over the years and bought 4 L-series lenses, I would now be selling 3 of them (and an STM), to buy 2 STMs. Is this stupid idea, or a pragmatic solution?

Comment

Well that's a question only you can answer! It's all down to your usage.

I have now completely moved over to the mirrorless system and have sold some EF lenses to help fund this. But my 2 EF L lenses (15-35 and 24-105) are still beloved and fully operational with the adapter

So maybe keep the EF 17-40 L and EF 100-400 L for now and continue to use these with the RF adapter, if funds allow. Then you've still got some quality options either side of the 24-240 mm

I hope we've helped you with the immediate problem of what to take to Canada !
                Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

I can understand the reluctance to part with your L lenses....as Bo says, only you can decide.

Just imagine that you only have the none L 24-105.....are you missing the 24-105L...?
                  Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

I’m also off to Canada, Ontario, in September but went a different route. Instead of taking my R6 I went for a used 7D with a 18-135mm STM. Good quality and cheap as chips so if it ends up getting separated from me it’s less if a worry. I have a 55-250mm STM coming to and I have to say with my 100-400mm L it’s good fun to shoot…
                    EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Henry’s in Canada has the RF10-400 for £560 equivalent…so cheaper than uk….might be good to buy some gear when you get there
                      Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

Originally posted by @imagesBV View Post
                        Henry’s in Canada has the RF10-400 for £560 equivalent…so cheaper than uk….might be good to buy some gear when you get there
                        Interesting…
                        EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

…beware warranty might not transfer between continents.
                          Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

Indeed. I’ve never had to use the warranty but there’s always a first time…

Comment

I know someone who bought in the US cheap then got caught a bomb with custom duty - just a thought
                              Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
                              https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Working...
                              X