Canon printer problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canon printer problems

Thought my MG7550 had given up the ghost the other week. Had been playing up for a few days, then a week last Wednesday it suddenly decided to stop working. Every time I switched it on it would go thro a self check, then switch back off again. Couldn't fire it up for more than a few seconds at a time. On the Thursday I decided to buy a new printer as I had a few documents which needed printing urgently, so I bought a Canon TS3451, cheapest one I could get as the one I wanted was "out of stock" everywhere I looked. Had a right palaver getting this set up, as they don't come with set-up cd's anymore and it didn't seem to want to download the driver from the Canon website. Eventually got it going, but it wasn't perfect and I wasn't happy with the prints. Wiped all the drivers and other programmes for the 7550, and this morning I was going to take it to the tip.

Good job I hadn't got round to it, because Friday I got an email from Canon Europe, which they sent because I had registered the 7550 when I bought it. Seems the problem with the printer had been caused because the printer connected to a third party server when switched on, as it was connected to the internet, and this server had increased the data flow, to the point where the printer overloaded and switched itself off. Canon have decreased this data, and lo and behold, when I connected the printer back up it worked perfectly! Had to download all the drivers and complementary programmes again, but thankfully it went a little more smoothly than it had with the 3451.

According to the Canon website, 18 printer models have been affected, so a lot of people must have had duff printers last week. Seems the problem started May 30, they solved it on June 7 and I got the email June 10.
    John

70D, 30D, G1X Mk II, G12, EF-S 15-85, EF-S 18-55 STM, EF 40 STM, EF 50 II f 1.8, Sigma 10-20 f 4-5.6, Sigma 150-500 f 5-6.3, Sigma 1.4 EX DG Teleconverter, Tamron 90 f 2.8, Tamron 70-300 VC, Speedlite 270EX, 270EX MkII, 430EX III-RT, 550EX, 580EX, 600EX-RT and numerous bits and pieces.

Interesting situation and annoying for you John. Do these printers connect to the server to automate ink replenishment or is it for something else?
    Peter

Feel free to browse my
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Originally posted by ST-EOS View Post
      Interesting situation and annoying for you John. Do these printers connect to the server to automate ink replenishment or is it for something else?
      It sends ink usage reports to Canon, I think you can automate ink replenishment but I've never done it, and I regularly get "bonus" features such as Christmas Card, Easter Card, Halloween, Mothers and Fathers Day Card blanks that you can use to make personalised cards etc. It also makes sharing images to and from the Cloud easier. Must admit, used very little of those features in the 7 years I've had it so to have issues because of those features was more than a little irritating!
      John

70D, 30D, G1X Mk II, G12, EF-S 15-85, EF-S 18-55 STM, EF 40 STM, EF 50 II f 1.8, Sigma 10-20 f 4-5.6, Sigma 150-500 f 5-6.3, Sigma 1.4 EX DG Teleconverter, Tamron 90 f 2.8, Tamron 70-300 VC, Speedlite 270EX, 270EX MkII, 430EX III-RT, 550EX, 580EX, 600EX-RT and numerous bits and pieces.

Comment

Working...
      X