Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lightroom workflow - when/how to resize?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lightroom workflow - when/how to resize?

I currently do all my processing in Photoshop CC but I really feel I should be using Lightroom more rather than just as a cataloging system.

My current workflow in Photoshop would be along the lines of:

Open file in ACR, make adjustments to exposure, white/black points, curves adjustment etc as required & then open in Photoshop;

In Photoshop, assign to sRGB IEC61966-2.1 profile, any dodging/burning, saturation, layers adjustments etc as/if required. Then resize to size required for web - Flickr etc say between 1000 to 1400 pixels wide. Finally sharpen before saving as a jpg to my 'Edited' folder.

So how would this relate to Lightroom? I can see how to do the necessary editing but how do I resize image before sharpening? and what about assigning correct profile?
    Les

Les Cornwell Photography

EOS R, EOS 6D MKII, EOS 100D, EOS50e, RF24-104 F4L, EF17-40 F4L, EF24-70 F2.8L II, EF70-200 F4L IS, EF100-400 F5.6L MKII, EF100 F2.8L IS, EF-S 18-135 STM, EF-S 18-55, GP-E2, 270EX, 430EX II, Kase & Lee filters.

Re: Lightroom workflow - when/how to resize?

Originally posted by LesC2009 View Post

So how would this relate to Lightroom? I can see how to do the necessary editing but how do I resize image before sharpening? and what about assigning correct profile?
    Les, I do the majority of PP in LR including Camera calibration and Lens correction. LR uses the same engine as ACR it just has a different set of sliders, then over to PS for any layer work and to sharpen and resize saving for the web after finish whatever PP I think necessary for the image. You don't assign a profile in LR it does it for you. Should you want to sharpen and resize in LR it's done as you export (you can export to a web site direct (various Plug ins are available) or to a folder on your hard drive the image as a jpg. The "Export" button is at the bottom left of the screen below the navigator side bar and above the film strip.
    Peter

Feel free to browse my
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

I use LR a lot, PS not so much but my workflow is roughly this:

Import, select them all (if same lens) pick 1 go to develop and select a profile, usually camera standard and also apply the lens correction. Then go back to Library and deselect them all. If I remember this is also a good time to tag them whilst all selected.
      then look at which ones I like, usually rating them 2 stars.
      Then I'll have a quick play with an image that I think has potential. Usually hit auto as a starting point.
      Crop and adjust horizontal. If verticals need playing with I do that first under the lens settings.
      If I want to play with a saturation I usually use the individual colour sliders for sat or luminance.
      Add a ND grad/radial filter as required. Use spot heal as required.
      Apply NR, apply sharpening always with a mask (ctrl & alt with the slider on a mac).
      Then export.

After this I don't usually feel the need for further editing in PS. If I want to go mono I'll open a copy in Silverefex with LR adjustments. Likewise if I do want to use layers I do the same but with CC PS.
      Hope that helps.
      TS-E17 F4L, 70-300L, 100 F2.8L Macro. http://www.flickr.com/photos/waynelsworth/

Comment

Thanks chaps, very helpful - I'll have to have a play!
        Les

Les Cornwell Photography

EOS R, EOS 6D MKII, EOS 100D, EOS50e, RF24-104 F4L, EF17-40 F4L, EF24-70 F2.8L II, EF70-200 F4L IS, EF100-400 F5.6L MKII, EF100 F2.8L IS, EF-S 18-135 STM, EF-S 18-55, GP-E2, 270EX, 430EX II, Kase & Lee filters.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Els View Post
          I use LR a lot, PS not so much but my workflow is roughly this:

Import, select them all (if same lens) pick 1 go to develop and select a profile, usually camera standard and also apply the lens correction. Then go back to Library and deselect them all. If I remember this is also a good time to tag them whilst all selected.
          then look at which ones I like, usually rating them 2 stars.
          Then I'll have a quick play with an image that I think has potential. Usually hit auto as a starting point.
          Crop and adjust horizontal. If verticals need playing with I do that first under the lens settings.
          If I want to play with a saturation I usually use the individual colour sliders for sat or luminance.
          Add a ND grad/radial filter as required. Use spot heal as required.
          Apply NR, apply sharpening always with a mask (ctrl & alt with the slider on a mac).
          Then export.

After this I don't usually feel the need for further editing in PS. If I want to go mono I'll open a copy in Silverefex with LR adjustments. Likewise if I do want to use layers I do the same but with CC PS.
          Hope that helps.
          Wayne, think I'm understanding that for lens profile you are doing this as part of your workflow. This is something that can be done on import. You need to create a user preset that includes apply the lens profile selected. Then in the import module make sure the preset you've created is selected to be applied on import. As long as the lens profile is in the list (others can be added if missing) the correct profile will be applied which ever lens you used. Other things like correct chromatic aberration can also be applied to your preset.
          Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Working...
          X