can not read raw images with DPP 3.15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can not read raw images with DPP 3.15

I prefer the simplicity of DPP 3 but I am not able to read the raw image files taken with my 5D mkIV (decoding failed).
    I can see them perfectly fine when I upgraded to DPP 4 but I do not like the more complex layout of DPP 4.
    DPP 4 may be better but I like things simple.

If the raw image file is CR2 when using the 5D mkIV is this not the same CR2 type image as when taken with the 7D mkII?
    I can see the CR2 images taken with the 7D mkII in DPP 3.
    Is there a work around?

I do not use Photoshop or anything else for image editing.

I have not been out yet with the new camera so was just testing in the back garden.
    I spent about 30 minutes changing memory cards as I thought the issue might be the new memory cards when it said "
    decoding failed".

Then I uninstalled DPP 3 and installed DPP 4, I could now see the files.
    I thought maybe there was a DPP 3 update, there was DPP version 3.15.
    So I uninstalled DPP4, re-installed DPP3 and updated to DPP 3.15 and nothing.

If there's a work around then please let me know or a Canon raw codec that will fix this problem. (have downloaded crc 1.11 but that didn't work either).

So frustrating when companies change the software and the software layout.
    I even downloaded the classic shell software so Windows 10 looks more like Windows 7.
    Why do these software developers think they know what's best for the consumer?

Thank you
    Stephen
    Last edited by Hereford_EOS; 19-01-2020, 14:02.
    Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
    Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Hi Stephen. Just tried this although I don't use DPP, but can see where you are coming from. I can see from your point of view its can be very annoying. I don't know what the answer is but no doubt someone on here will know.
    Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Originally posted by Trev B View Post
      Hi Stephen. Just tried this although I don't use DPP, but can see where you are coming from. I can see from your point of view its can be very annoying. I don't know what the answer is but no doubt someone on here will know.
      Yeah! hopefully someone will know , thanks Trev

flickr

Comment

Firstly you do not need to uninstall DPP3 in order to install DPP4 (or vice versa).

Secondly DPP3 has not been updated (AFAIK) since version 3.15 in August 2015.

CR2 files all have the same structure but they are not identical for each and every sensor. Sensors have their own colour matrices (as using the once very useful, but now defunct, dcraw will illustrate if you use it to convert a 5D4 RAW; it will convert it, but there is a horrible green tint and very weak colours), plus the 5D4 has additional functionality over many other models, such as Dual Pixel RAW.

It was a pain using DPP when DPP4 did not support my older EOS cameras, and DPP3 did not support the newer ones, but DPP4 now supports everything (expect the very early Kodak/Canon models). DPP3, on the other hand, has not been updated for over 4 years and is effectively dead and gone. If you want to process your RAW files from your 5D4 with DPP then you will have to switch to DPP4. DPP4 is available as a 64-bit application so there are other advantages over DPP3, even though it will mean getting used to a different interface.

It may, however, be worth keeping a copy of DPP3 installed since edits to a RAW undertaken and saved in DPP3 will not be visible if you open the RAW file in DPP4.

Jennifer
        Jennifer

Photos on Flickr

Comment

Very useful, thank you

flickr

Comment

Working...
          X