How to correct vignette?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to correct vignette?

Hi all. I am new to the Forum so hope I have posted this correctly. I have recently hired the RF 24-240mm lens to use with my R6 ahead of a possible purchase. Used on a pre-Christmas trip to Hamburg, I am pretty pleased with the results and loved the ability to wander round the city, often in fairly heavy snow, without a need to constantly change lenses; however, the vignetting at 24mm is considerable. I understand and appreciate why this occurs but would welcome advice on how best to correct it in post-production. I have Photoshop and the results are “ok” but would welcome any other thoughts/advice based on your experiences please (eg would I be better off using DPP to correct initially?). Many thanks

Hey, welcome to the forum, I'm sure you'll find some good and helpful advice here.

In the past for me Ive used Adobe lightroom. There is a button you can click to enable lens correction and then adjust the slider accordingly for lens vignetting. This as well as the preset Vignette slider either towards (-) negative or (+) always gives me the result I need. Hopefully that could work for you.

Comment

Originally posted by NathCarr91 View Post
      Hey, welcome to the forum, I'm sure you'll find some good and helpful advice here.

In the past for me Ive used Adobe lightroom. There is a button you can click to enable lens correction and then adjust the slider accordingly for lens vignetting. This as well as the preset Vignette slider either towards (-) negative or (+) always gives me the result I need. Hopefully that could work for you.
      Many thanks - I'll give that a try and see if the results are better (and easier to apply) in LR

Comment

Hello and welcome.
        I have the R6/24-240 combo and it is my first choice for a one- only lens if travelling or going to an unknown function - it's had an awful lot of use!
        Its detriments are indeed the vignetting and some peripheral distortion ( dipping horizon) with severity of course depending on ISO and subject
        If you shoot JPEG you have the option of correcting these in the Red menu 3 - lens aberration correction
        If you shoot RAW I would leave these off and you can correct both of these in LR as Nath says
        There is also the facility to do this also in DPP .
        Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

Originally posted by clarkyboy247 View Post

Many thanks - I'll give that a try and see if the results are better (and easier to apply) in LR
          No problem at all, hope I explained it well enough. But basically there is 2 slider options for Vignette in lightroom. 1 under the effects section and 1 in lens correction.

Comment

Originally posted by lunarbo View Post
            Hello and welcome.
            I have the R6/24-240 combo and it is my first choice for a one- only lens if travelling or going to an unknown function - it's had an awful lot of use!
            Its detriments are indeed the vignetting and some peripheral distortion ( dipping horizon) with severity of course depending on ISO and subject
            If you shoot JPEG you have the option of correcting these in the Red menu 3 - lens aberration correction
            If you shoot RAW I would leave these off and you can correct both of these in LR as Nath says
            There is also the facility to do this also in DPP .
            Thank you. I always shoot RAW so will make sure I have that turned off in the settings. Pleased to hear that it's your 'go to' lens if travelling (that's essentially what I'm thinking about, particularly in inclement weather). I'll also have a look at DPP. Thanks again. Greatly appreciated.

Comment

Working...
            X