Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Challenge 139 - Facial Pareidolia - EOS magazine forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Challenge 139 - Facial Pareidolia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Challenge 139 - Facial Pareidolia

Did you know that there's actually a scientific term for seeing faces in everyday things? It's called facial pareidolia and the remit for this challenge is to submit an image that shows this in action. Obviously real faces will not be allowed and a quick Google of the term "facial pareidolia" should give you plenty of ideas and inspiration.

I will try to judge all entries on technical merit, composition, etc. but a factor will also be whether the image makes me smile and sticks in my mind.

Please abide by the general rules:

• The competition subject shall be selected by the winner of the preceding competition who will also judge the competition.
    • One picture per person; images should conform to general image posting rules.
    • Please use an EOS Canon camera - DSLR or M series.
    • Posted images should be taken during the running period of the competition. Any images submitted that were taken before the competition started, or after the competition has ended, will be deemed invalid.
    • Images 800 pixels widest max (to help those with small monitors).
    • No Photoshop frames and borders.
    • Include a title; the image must convey the theme without title description.
    • Please, NO comments on images- on this or another thread- until the round is over.
    • No canvassing e.g. “I’m thinking of posting this image for the challenge, what do you think?”
    • I will pick 1st, 2nd and 3rd favourite images (please don’t PM me to discuss my choices).

What with the rubbish weather we've all been having and people not being able to get out and about, I'll give this one a decent run, the closing date for entries as Midnight GMT on Sunday 25th Feb, which is four and a half weeks.

So get snapping and I look forward to seeing the entries.
    Chris
    80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Re: Challenge 139 - Facial Pareidolia

My entry for facial pareidolia

Face in the Freezer by Ian, on Flickr

Ian
    Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

Face in a log:

Face in a log
      by AlexR!, on Flickr
      Canon EOS 7D
      EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
      Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
      flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Elvis Lives in the Trees!
        Elvis by nigel winters, on Flickr
        Last edited by EOSwinters; 11-02-2018, 16:11.
        Nigel
        EOS 80D, EF-S 55-250 4-5.6 IS, EF-S 18-55, EF-S 10-18, EF 50 1.8

Comment

Despite being caught in a blizzard, this small Ent is still smiling

Small Ent in a blizzard by John Liddle, on Flickr
          John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Shock! Horror! by Andy Leslie, on Flickr

Blists Hill #1
            Last edited by AndyL; 15-02-2018, 17:15.
            See more at www.andyleslie.com and www.facebook.com/AndyLesliePhotography, not to mention https://www.flickr.com/photos/andylesliephotography/

There's birds in them thar hills!

Comment

Gorilla revisited.

IMG_0048 (2) by David Miller, on Flickr

Comment

Red Indian Rock

[IMG]Red Indian Rock by Barbara Bett, on Flickr[/IMG]
                Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

Thanks for your entries everyone. I've not been around the forum much the past few weeks so nice to see some good efforts posted up in my absence! I will have a think and post the results up later today, hopefully.
                  Chris
                  80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Thanks again to everyone who entered. I wasn't sure how this challenge would pan out but each and every shot has satisfied the brief, allowing that we have some heads rather than faces but luckily I'm not picky.

Below I've put some comments and/or constructive criticism relating to each entry but please remember it's just my own point of view and I am no expert in judging. But I do know what I like, so here goes...

Farider (Ian) - Face in the Freezer
                    Well, this is a good start. If you can't find a face, make one! I like the shape of upturned fish for the mouth, giving it a little wry smile.
                    It's nice & sharp but it's a (small) shame about the reflections. Perhaps adding a vignette might soften them a bit as well as draw the focus to the facial features.

AlexR! - Face in a log
                    Well spotted! Despite not being able to enter, I've been on the lookout for knots in both wooden fences & trees but not seen anything like that.
                    It's well framed with good bit of blur around the edges to draw the eye in (not that you could miss it).
                    I can't decide whether it's Edvard Munch's The Scream or the mask from the Scream films. Or perhaps just a bit of both.

EOSwinters (Nigel) - Elvis lives in the trees
                    Another well spotted one and congratulations on your first post to the forum, depite having joined in 2013!
                    I think I'd have liked just a little more space on the left for him to look into (it's a frequent comment in the Birds forum but obviously it's not always possible - sometimes we just forget when cropping a shot!) I originally thought crop out the bottom hedge too but then decided that I like the fact he has some shoulders.

John Liddle - Small Ent in a blizzard
                    I had to Google to find out what an Ent is but it's all clear now. It's nice to see the whole body, with the arms outstretched as if he's trying to get attention. It took a few views to "get my eye in". I started off thinking that the lack of definition of the snow in the lower half of the shot a bit off-putting but then decided that as it's still snowing the snow level is still rising up so if he doesn't get a move on he'll be in a full-on snowdrift really soon.

AndyL - Shock! Horror!
                    Another great face. I like his chimney "arm" - does he need the loo, do you think?
                    It's beautifully sharp on Flickr but I think a bit of clockwise rotation may have improved the composition a little. And I can see from the sky that the light wasn't great but wonder whether a small shadows lift would bring the brickwork out more.

Daisy M - Gorilla revisited
                    Nice composition with good OOF background. The light looked great, with some good shadows enhancing the head. The focus point seems to be more on the neck/shoulder area, so the bit that we really want to be sharp, i.e. the face is a little soft. I assume that this was taken before your lens/body went off to have its "issues" sorted so I'll let you off

lunarbo - Red Indian Rock
                    It took me a while - I was looking for a face, not a profile, but now I've seen it I like the subtlety.
                    The colours are lovely, it's well composed, sharp and you've given him some space to look into.

So, in reverse order, here are the results:

3rd: AndyL - the subject was just the sort of thing I was after but I think a little post-processing might have lifted it a little.
                    2nd: lunarbo - very well executed and just missed out as I had to hunt a bit for old Geronimo up there.
                    1st: AlexR! - the first I saw the shot it just made me smile and still does, and that's the main thing really!

I'm hoping Alex comes up with a real corker for the next one. For various reasons I've not picked my camera up for weeks and I need a good excuse to get out & about with it. So no pressure!
                    Chris

Comment

Well done to Alex met the brief spot on. Thanks also Chris for setting the challenge. Hope to have the new camera for whatever subject Alex sets.

Comment

Well done Alex!
                        All entries were entertainingg sorry I couldn't contribute this time
                        Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Oh gosh, Chris, thanks, that is a lovely surprise. I thought it was a very interesting competition because you couldn't plan for it. I spent 3 days in Florence looking for faces in buildings, doorways, clouds etc and didn't get a thing. Then got home and was laying the fire and that little fella was staring up at me! I also couldn't decide between those two screams, plus perhaps a bit of added Kenneth Williams.
                          I'm currently away so it will take a couple of days before I'm able to set the next one but I'll get my thinking cap on. And if Gatwick is snowed in it might be longer.
                          Canon EOS 7D
                          EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
                          Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
                          flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Well done all, especially AlexR. I liked the depth of shadow and thought that it did have that feel of the scream about it.

Thanks for the challenge Chris and the comments. This was one of a sequence and while I had one shot in landscape with sky to the left I liked this one, may have to think again about it for another time. I didn't crop because I too thought the hedge looked like shoulders.

I've now retired so hopefully more time for photography and look forward to seeing what the next challenge will be.
                            Nigel
                            EOS 80D, EF-S 55-250 4-5.6 IS, EF-S 18-55, EF-S 10-18, EF 50 1.8

Comment

Thank goodness that's over and I can stop looking at twisted branches & bizarre angles! Good idea though Chris.

Yes- well done to Alex for his Munch-like scream and of course to Chris for his thoughtful comments.

See you later then Alex................ unless the Beast from the East gets you !
                              Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

Working...
                              X