Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Stars - EOS magazine forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stars

Hi guys,

I'll be visiting the Thar Desert in Rajasthan in May and I was just looking to get some advice on how to get some good shots of the stars etc., I assume there should be zero light pollution.

I have a EOS70D and I can take the following lens; EF-S 10-22, EF75-300, EF-S 18-55, EF 50 1.8 although I'd like to take as few as possible. I also have a small pocket tripod.

Thanks in advance.

Charles

Re: Stars

Hopefully the night sky will be spectacular.

A few tips that spring to mind when shooting stars,If you struggle to focus use manual and switch to live view and pick out a bright star, magnify the star using the + button (think this should be placed in the top right hand corner)then adjust the focus using the live view screen.

Uses your widest aperture on whichever lens you choose to let as much light in as possible and don't allow your shutter speed to drop any lower than 20 seconds as after this your stars will start to show movement.

To reduce long exposure noise use the cameras options to combat this, you'll have to look at your menus on the 70D.

Keep things steady remote release mirror locked up and a sturdy tripod (pocket tripod should be OK if its on stable and solid ground if no cable release try self timer)

Don't forget to do some star trails look it up on YouTube if not sure how to go about this(time consuming but well worth it).

Have a practise before you go as its not that easy if you've never done this type of photography before especially in the dark take a bright torch warm clothes food and a hot drink (even in the desert it might be cold at night)

Paul
    EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
    Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

Thanks Paul

Comment

Hi Paul, one other point, what ISO would you recommend?

Comment

Working...
        X