Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Filter System Holder - EOS magazine forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Filter System Holder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Filter System Holder

I'm looking to buy a 100mm system filter holder. A few years back it seemed Lee were the main player. However my initial research shows there are a number of companies offering similar e.g. Nisi, Haida, Kase.

I've seen a few reviews but a lot of them have had the filters supplied and I have degree of scepticism :
    1) The independence of the reviewer
    2) Most of the reviews were written after a short period of use so any niggles or design flaws may not have been recognised.

To aid with my decision any input from users on here both good and bad would be much appreciated

TIA

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Re: Filter System Holder

On the face of it they all do the same thing, they are the same size, so logically price should be the determining factor, but life is never that simple.

Lee Filters were set up for the cinema industry where product quality and colour fidelity are of prime importance and if that is what you want, there is a premium to pay. I have seen the effects with other manufacturers and some have a colour cast, normally slight magenta. Not overly difficult to correct within Photoshop, but I prefer my time taking photos, rather than in front of a computer. Also, the Lee filter holders are superbly engineered and easily adaptable to your shooting requirements. Many others are fixed plastic to take 2, maybe 3 filters and that's your lot.

Like you, I did a lot of research before choosing and decided to pay the extra for Lee. Because of the higher cost I haven't bought all the filters I would "Quite Like", but I do have all the filters I need and have been using them for 10-12 years without problem. I don't do a lot of landscapes but when it comes time to get the filters out, I "enjoy" putting the filters to good use. They are nice to use and set up, rather than just another accessory.
    Colin

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
      On the face of it they all do the same thing, they are the same size, so logically price should be the determining factor, but life is never that simple.

Lee Filters were set up for the cinema industry where product quality and colour fidelity are of prime importance and if that is what you want, there is a premium to pay. I have seen the effects with other manufacturers and some have a colour cast, normally slight magenta. Not overly difficult to correct within Photoshop, but I prefer my time taking photos, rather than in front of a computer. Also, the Lee filter holders are superbly engineered and easily adaptable to your shooting requirements. Many others are fixed plastic to take 2, maybe 3 filters and that's your lot.

Like you, I did a lot of research before choosing and decided to pay the extra for Lee. Because of the higher cost I haven't bought all the filters I would "Quite Like", but I do have all the filters I need and have been using them for 10-12 years without problem. I don't do a lot of landscapes but when it comes time to get the filters out, I "enjoy" putting the filters to good use. They are nice to use and set up, rather than just another accessory.
      Many thanks for this. If anyone else has decided against Lee before making their purchase I'd be interested in their views. Alternatively it may be that they are still top dog in the filter world.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Comment

I have both Lee and NiSi systems I have to say that NiSi systems are supplied with three sizes of Lens adapters. The Lee system requires you to buy adapter/s sized to fit your lenses.
        The original Lee holder whilst it works is a bit dated, they recently announced a revised version though I’ve not had sight/hands on experience of revised unit.
        My Lee/NiSi filters are interchangeable between the holders. One major difference between these two systems is that the NiSi Circular Polariser is fitted adjacent to the lens (between the front of the lens and the first slot in the holder) which leaves you with three available slots for ND filters. Whereas with the Lee system the CP is mounted on the front of filter holder with ND filters in slots behind the CP.
        Horses for courses I suppose, personally I prefer the NiSi holder over the Lee variant.
        I intend to sell some of my Lee system holders and my original (V5) NiSi kit as I have just upgraded to a NiSi (V6) kit.
        Message me if you require any more information on either system pro/cons.
        IHTH

Sent from somewhere in Gods County using Tapatalk
        Peter

Feel free to browse my
        Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Working...
        X