Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Canon ef 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM - EOS magazine forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canon ef 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canon ef 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM

Treated myself to a new lens,didn't want to be too restricted with a fixed lens so went for the super tele. No regrets,it is an absolute dream to work with,I knew about it's weight and to be honest,it's not a problem.I have used it with a tripod but that is too restrictive and apart from certain occasions,I'm using it hand held most of the time.Tried some Moon shots the other night,but that did need a tripod and a remote for the shutter,so now I've been out and bought the remote,so will try again.
    I am a big person so handling the lens might not be easy for everyone,but I am really pleased with it.No negatives so far and I particularily like the locking ring where you can adjust the tightness of the zoom or lock it,good idea on a long lens.
    Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way

Re: Canon ef 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM

Good news then, but where are the pictures?

Hoping to see some shots soon! Enjoy your new toy!

all the best, Mike.
    flickr
    5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

I too have the 100-400L, I use it mostly with a mono-pod, much more comfortable!

The trombone action is a little unusual, but easy to get used to
      The camera works just fine, it's the idiot staring through the viewfinder that need's help!

Comment

Not taken many pictures yet,this Swan was taken,hand held at Broughty Ferry.
        Attached Files

Comment

This is a great lens. I know that a number of people do not like the trombone action and call it a dust pump but I have managed a
          number of shots which have gained high points at club.

David
          David

Comment

It was may most versatile and favourite tele zoom before I went exlusively for prime tele's.

There are many times I still wish I had one.

Colin
            Colin

Comment

With the fabulous moon that rose last night I got mine out for the first time in far too long. I haven't needed the reach of late to use it but it is a wonderful tool to have. There was a time when I used to drive to work with it and my 40D on the passenger seat just in case every day.

My only problem last night was in fitting my 1.4x extender - the eyes aren't what they were and manual focussing proved difficult, even in the light breeze.

Comment

Hope you enjoy your new 100-400mm lens i have this one love it to bits it is a alround bit of kit.
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/fspimages

Donald Duck Rode To 500cc World Championships 1976 &1977.
                Canon EOS 40 D 7 D - 5 D Mk II.Canon 100-400mm IS - Canon 24-105mm IS -
                Canon 28-135mm IS - Canon 70-300mm IS - Canon 100mm 2.8 IS - Sigma 120-300mm Sigma 12-24 mm Sigma 10-20mm.

Doncaster Phoenix They Are The Future

Comment

Moon shot taken without a remote shutter release,manual focus 1/250th 400mm f5.6
                  Attached Files

Comment

Whilst on another thread,it has occured to me that I leave my Hoya filter on all the time,so should I remove it for moon shots?

Comment

Whilst on another thread,it has occured to me that I leave my Hoya filter on all the time,so should I remove it for moon shots?
                      The filter shouldn't make a massive difference, you really need a sturdy tripod, cable release,mirror in locked up position(if poss), you can leave auto focus on, or if you do use manual switch to live view and increase the magnification that way you'll get to see if you have the focus spot on. Any movement will kill the shot you need to be rock solid and even then some shots will be sharper than others.
                      Also you'll need to open a photobucket/flicker account(BOTH ARE FREE) so you can post larger images as the attachment images don't always look that sharp.

Paul
                      EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
                      Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

Thanks Paul,most helpfull, I used the December issue of Digital SLR article(xmas present from my daughter)as a guide.If the cloud clears I will try a few of your ideas.

Comment

Its a great lens. I don't use it much in the winter. In the summer and abroad it comes into its own. You can get even a longer reach with the 1.4 extender. Two pictures here both with the 100-400, but the damselfly was taken with the extender fitted
                          Attached Files
                          del

Comment

I've not tried using it for macro type work yet,lousy weather with poor light conditions,roll on the spring

Comment

It is my default lense for wildlife and I love it.

Whilst I am a big bloke too, it is heavy and I sometimes swear at it!

Always hand hold it as I like to walk & stalk.

I now aspire to a 300 or 400 prime but suspect that I would accutely miss the versatility of the zoom. Maybe there is worst than being too far away, it is being to close to your target of choice

Comment

Working...
                              X