Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Super Blue Moon - EOS magazine forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Super Blue Moon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Super Blue Moon

Tonight's Super Blue Moon (unfortunately no "blood" from here) taken from the garden. I'm still trying to improve my shots of the moon, and realise that a full moon is not always the best aspect, but this time I tried an image stack - this is about 20 images stacked and then tweaked a bit in Affinity. Comments welcomed!

Super Blue Moon, 31st Jan 2018 by Chris Trollen, on Flickr
    Chris
    80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Re: Super Blue Moon

Hi Chris, Very good effort. IMHO photographing a full Moon is not easy, and last night i felt there was a lot of atmospheric turbulence in the air. I made several attempts all of which i am disappointed with.( typically two nights earlier the air was crystal clear ) I never even thought of trying to stack.

Hope you won't mind, if you do i'll gladly remove it ? my attempt :-

Not So Super Moon ? by Glenn.B, on Flickr
    Glenn

Many More Pictures can be seen here:-
    My Flickr Site
    My Photium Site

Comment

Thanks Glenn, I have no problems with other shots of the moon by anyone being added here. It's good to see how what ought to be exactly the same shot can be processed differently. Well done!

I also struggled a bit with getting a decent single, sharp image but put it down to my weedy tripod not being stable enough with a light breeze swirling around. I used the 100-400 + 1.4x then used Live View, zooming in to 10x to get the image as focused as possible but that just showed up how unstable everything was!

Anyway, of 30 or so shots, I deleted the ones that were obviously not sharp and stacked the rest in Affinity. I might have a go with one of the single shots to see if the stack is worth it.

I got the idea of stacking from this article https://northrup.photo/photographing-the-moon/ although 1) I didn't use as many images, 2) didn't convert from RAW before stacking, or 3) use RegiStax so some other things to try.
      Chris
      80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Hi Chris, I shoot RAW then in Lightroom it needed lots of contrast and clarity adjustment but not much else. Camera settings :- F7.1, 1/640sec, iso200.
        Glenn

Many More Pictures can be seen here:-
        My Flickr Site
        My Photium Site

Comment

Nicely done Chris

Tom

Comment

Well done Chris
            Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
            Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Warning - worst moon shot 'ever'!!!!

Actually on my way to bed, looked out and saw the 'blue moon' and thought "why not" dressed quickly grabbed the 5Dmk3 the 200-400 and put the mk3 2x extender on it (this one is at 800mm) - stood outside the back door, leant against the shed and hand held about 15 shot's, this was the only one anywhere near in focus - on reflection I did everything wrong, no tripod so handheld / street lights / shutter priority / no remote shutter release and the list goes on. . . . . pretty surprised I managed anything at all lol.

Please feel free to point and laugh

.DAVID.
              Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

I confess...I've used split tone in post processing (200D and 100-400L)
                _MG_8507.jpg by brianvickers, on Flickr
                Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Here's one from the other side of the world

Flickr
                  Web Page
                  Instagram
                  Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Teatime View Post
                    Here's one from the other side of the world
                    Nice one, something a bit different.

Originally posted by brianvickers View Post
                    I confess...I've used split tone in post processing (200D and 100-400L)
                    Nice shot, Brian. nothing wrong with a bit of split tone use, although I tinted mine slightly with some WB adjustment.

Originally posted by David Stallard View Post
                    Warning - worst moon shot 'ever'!!!!
                    Not at all, it's pretty good considering handheld at 800mm!
                    Chris

Comment

Working...
                    X