Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Dun Carloway Broch, Isle of Lewis. - EOS magazine forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dun Carloway Broch, Isle of Lewis.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dun Carloway Broch, Isle of Lewis.

The remains of a stone roundhouse (Broch) which it is believed to have been constructed around 200BC. Originally there would have been staircases between the outer and inner walls of this Broch. Note the very low/small entrance at the right side of the structure.

According to some internet sources the Broch was in use until the 1500's as a stronghold for a family. However that family were having a bit of a dispute with another family who allegedly smoked them out.

In my opinion and from a purely Landscape photography perspective this Broch is a better subject than its fairly close neighbours the Callanish Stones. To support my opinion for those who wish to see it there is a panorama image of the Landscape around the Broch on my Flickr Photostream.

Having said that I have made images of both sites . As always your thoughts, comments or suggestions are most welcome.

NB. Image to follow!

Last edited by ST-EOS; 09-08-2018, 21:24. Reason: Test trying to overcome the spam error issue
    Peter

Feel free to browse my
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Re: Dun Carloway Broch, Isle of Lewis.

I do like a bit of history or information for an image and this description is very interesting and is making me seriously consider a trip out there next time I'm in Scotland.

Of the shot I think the subject interest, lighting, clarity and detail achieved are all good and there's nothing wrong with using portrait for a landscape image. I am wondering, however, whether following the foreground rocks to the broch the eye is then led out of the scene by the interesting cloud formation and that cropping some sky would make for a stronger composition. But still very nice

Also I looked at your Flickr (as I hope everyone does) and, indeed, the pano is excellent!

Cheers,
    John

Comment

Like John I feel the foreground is more complementary to the broch than the sky and would be inclined to go for 5x4 format losing the upper part of the sky. Other than that it's a fine shot.

Oh and yes the pano is amazing, I would imagine it's awesome at a larger size.
      Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Cracking shot with interesting info, nice pano's too

Paul

Comment

Well taken Peter

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by El Sid View Post
            Like John I feel the foreground is more complementary to the broch than the sky and would be inclined to go for 5x4 format losing the upper part of the sky. Other than that it's a fine shot.

Oh and yes the pano is amazing, I would imagine it's awesome at a larger size.
            Cheers Nigel

Originally posted by pelliott1954 View Post
            Cracking shot with interesting info, nice pano's too

Paul
            Thanks Paul

Originally posted by tesarver View Post
            Well taken Peter

Tom
            Thank You Tom
            Peter

Feel free to browse my

Comment

Originally posted by ColytonJohn View Post
              I do like a bit of history or information for an image and this description is very interesting and is making me seriously consider a trip out there next time I'm in Scotland.

Of the shot I think the subject interest, lighting, clarity and detail achieved are all good and there's nothing wrong with using portrait for a landscape image. I am wondering, however, whether following the foreground rocks to the broch the eye is then led out of the scene by the interesting cloud formation and that cropping some sky would make for a stronger composition. But still very nice

Also I looked at your Flickr (as I hope everyone does) and, indeed, the pano is excellent!

Cheers,
              John
              Thanks John, I did crop some of the sky in the image, I shall look at at cropping some more
              Peter

Feel free to browse my

Comment

Very nice shot Peter
                Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

I was there a couple of weeks back, I didn't get the nice sun you got though, nice shot.
                  Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way

Comment

Thanks Trev and Tigerburnie
                    Peter

Feel free to browse my

Comment

Working...
                    X