Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Challenge 128: Rust, Rot and Decay - EOS magazine forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Challenge 128: Rust, Rot and Decay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Challenge 128: Rust, Rot and Decay

I hope the brief isn't to all encompassing for you, but it offers a variety of subject matter.
    So please submit your images that show, or relate to, Rust, Rot and Decay (of any kind). I would also like to allow a bridge camera use if all are happy with it, as it can be more challenging to get the best out of them and I did say if I ever won it I would. Which I still cannot believe I have.

The general rules are as the previous challenge with one change:
    • The competition subject shall be selected by the winner of the preceding competition who will also judge the competition.
    • One picture per person; images should conform to general image posting rules.
    • Please use an EOS Canon camera - DSLR or M series or Canon bridge camera.
    • Posted images should be taken during the running period of the competition. Any images submitted that were taken before the competition started, or after the competition has ended, will be deemed invalid.
    • Images 800 pixels widest max (to help those with small monitors).
    • No Photoshop frames and borders.
    • Include a title; the image must convey the theme without title description.
    • Please, NO comments on images- on this or another thread- until the round is over.
    • No canvassing e.g. “I’m thinking of posting this image for the challenge, what do you think?”
    • I will pick 1st, 2nd and 3rd favourite images (please don’t PM me to discuss my choices).

Closing date for entries is midnight (in the UK) on Tuesday 18th April so that gives you 3 full weeks to create your masterpieces.

Good luck to you all,
    Last edited by TonyT; 28-03-2017, 13:44.
    Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Re: Challenge 128: Rust, Rot and Decay

I have extended it from the Saturday to the following Tuesday, so it gives you the full bank holiday as well.

Have fun.
    Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Bump.......

Comment

Just so you know TonyT I am trying. I live in a heavy tourist oriented community and rust, rot and decay are quickly removed so tourists see things squeaky clean...
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/23748789@N02/

Comment

Thanks, I was feeling lonely

Comment

Left To Rot.

IMG_1402 (4) by David Miller, on Flickr

Comment

This sad and neglected church just off the AP-7 on the way down to Cartagena must have been quite charming at one time, but is now abandoned and open to the elements.

Paraje Ermita San Jose by John Liddle, on Flickr
              Last edited by John Liddle; 07-04-2017, 11:09. Reason: speeling correction
              John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

The Chain Gang

Bit of Rust by David Ore, on Flickr

Comment

Rusty railings by Chris Trollen, on Flickr
                  Chris
                  80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Sunbury wreck:

Sunbury wreck
                    by AlexR!, on Flickr
                    Canon EOS 7D
                    EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
                    Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
                    flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Lily

Lily by Barbara Bett, on Flickr
                      Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

Just in case I don't get out again before Tuesday.

Nature reclaims!

5dMKiii CANON 100mm macro

.DAVID.
                        Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

Trial by Nature

Trial by Nature by John Leah, on Flickr

Cheers,
                          John

Comment

Last calls. some excellent entries that I need to try to make some sense of for you all, but the clock is a ticking and midnight will soon be upon us.

Ok will get back with the results in a couple of days when I have digested and cogitated the entries, well done all those that entered, I was seriously having doubts for the first week if anyone was going to partake.

Last edited by TonyT; 19-04-2017, 11:30.

Comment

Ok I am not very good at this so you will need to bear with me. Technical merits are probably not my forte, so I will try to explain how I interpret them.

Daisy M
                              Dave,

What a cracking image, again almost monochromatic in its style and showing another relic of bygone times clinging on to life. The image draws you in and makes you ponder how much more of the car still exists but is lost from view as nature re-establishes her dominance. Well done

John Liddle
                              John,

Love it and the almost in part pristine interior seems to be far fetched from the decay and dilapidation of the building as a whole, I also like to see the juxtapose of the old and new with what looks like breeze blocks used in the construction of the new made to look old wall leading the eye in. The sky in the distance and the focal point draws you into the building, but did you consider losing a lot of the sky at the top to increase that feeling? Sadly I cannot help thinking if this was in the UK, the building would have been “tagged” long ago by vandals. An overall pleasing interpretation of the brief. Well done.

Dave 61
                              Dave

I like it, I love the texture of the wood and metal against each other with new life forcing its way out to make its presence felt. I just feel like the colours could be pushed a bit more and possibly the blacks, but that said an excellent interpretation of the brief, well done.

Ctrollen
                              Chris,

That works, the rich textures and colours of the rust setting it off, it draws your eye in to the peeling paint and the one bent nib in what are a pretty straight set of tips, if anything I would have liked to see a bit more in focus on the first two railings as well. Well done though on handling a tricky subject.

AlexR
                              Alex,

What a super image, the tales that craft could tell of fine times sadly past, the image is well thought out and composed, I love the dramatic sky, the juxtapose between old life and new with the tree growing out of the decaying wooden hull and the fact that she is still hanging on defiantly with rotting wood and fading paintwork, although you know she is ultimately doomed. Again the shape of the river, the curvature of the bank and the tree line all lead the eye to the main subject matter.. Well done.

Lunarbo
                              Barbara,

You nailed the brief and what a gorgeous image of a decaying Lilly, it almost takes on a wooden quality to the flower, offset by the green of the stem, excellent photo and the lighting is superb, only minor criticism is I would have removed the thin shadow across the very bottom of the stem as it appears to cut it off. Well done

David Stallard
                              David,

What a clever use of nature to draw your eye into to something so obviously man made, the lines of the plant carrying this out perfectly. It’s just a shame the rust is a bit on the weak side and does not appear to have much texture and richness to it. But well done.

ColtonJohn
                              John,

I love the image, with its graininess’ and Monochromatic Color Scheme setting it off, I also like how it that draws the eye in helped by the subtle use of the masking. It all works very well to pull the image together. Well done.

Ok, my top three are

1st Barbara,

That just has so many positives and the minute I saw it I thought the others are going to have a hard time beating this, so well done.

2nd place AlexR,

I am just a sucker for these type of images and the whole scene draws ones eyes to the main subject, it really impressed.

3rd place ColtonJohn,

a sublime handling of the subject, well done.

Thanks everyone who entered and I hope my comments are fair and pleasing, I found the critiquing of others work to be one of the hardest things to do.

Comment

Working...
                              X