Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 How do I upload my pics now...? - EOS magazine forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I upload my pics now...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I upload my pics now...?

...that flickr have over to Smugmug? I've no intention of paying, what will doubt become, rather high prices. I've just manually gone through the posting pictures forum but I didn't find an alternative to flickr.
    Canon 700D, Canon 18-55 3.5-5.6mm, IS STM lens, Canon 70-300mm 4-5.6 IS STM lens, Raynox 250 macro/close-up conversion lens.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/168448632@N02/

Re: How do I upload my pics now...?

SmugMug said no changes would be made to Flickr’s current plans or rates: “Flickr’s free accounts are foundational to its community of influential and engaged photographers.”
    Robert
    robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Scott View Post
      SmugMug said no changes would be made to Flickr’s current plans or rates: “Flickr’s free accounts are foundational to its community of influential and engaged photographers.”
      I've just been on the SmugMug site and there is not any sign of a free posting option. There is a 'basic' plan that is stated in US dollars of, I think, $3.99. Wikipedia state that SmugMug is a paid for hosting site. Can anyone confirm or deny this, please?
      Canon 700D, Canon 18-55 3.5-5.6mm, IS STM lens, Canon 70-300mm 4-5.6 IS STM lens, Raynox 250 macro/close-up conversion lens.

Comment

Flickr is still on its own website. You should be able to log in with your old settings.

Comment

Originally posted by Ems View Post
          Flickr is still on its own website. You should be able to log in with your old settings.
          Ems, I have downloaded/uploaded all my 'pics' from flickr onto my Elements 13 on my pc. I received an email from flickr saying that I had until the end of this month to move my 'pics' or they would automatically go onto Smugmug and they would automatically come under Smugmug's terms and conditions. I have also closed my flickr account because it, to, comes under Smugmugs terms and conditions. I think that I have all that correct.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I've just found my email from Flickr in my BTMail spam folder. Looks like I'm in the same boat as you.

Emyr

Comment

Nothing is going to happen to Flickr.com as such, not any time soon anyway. It's just that what are currently Flickr's terms & conditions will be come under Smugmug. If you don't want to accept Smugmug's T&Cs then you have the option of removing your photos, closing your Flickr account and hosting them elsewhere. FWIW, I'll be sticking with Flickr under its new ownership for the time being.

Have a read of this: https://www.flickr.com/help/forum/en...7692729336502/
              Chris
              80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

I've had a read of the link you suggested. It still is, I think, as I understand. That is, if you don't want to accept the Smugmug terms then you need to remove your pictures from flickr by the end of this month and also close your flickr account.

I did notice two or three lines that say that for the time being flickr will still offer a free access to it. But you don't want to accept the Smugmug terms then you have to close your flickr account and remove your pictures.

How then can you still use a free flickr option if you have to do as flickr/Smugmug tell you? I can't find anywhere where you can reopen or renew a flickr account. Does anyone know differently?

Comment

When you first signed up to Flickr you will have had to accept their terms and conditions. As Smugmug now own Flickr you need to accept Smugmug's T&Cs instead.

Obviously if you don't want to accept their T&Cs you will no longer be able to use Flickr.

What is in Smugmug's T&Cs that weren't in Flickr's and that you are reluctant to accept?
                  Chris
                  80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Just my thoughts on this:

I used to use Photobucket as my free hosting site. When Photobucket decided to charge a fee for this service, I closed my account and joined Flickr. I understand that Smumug charge a fee for hosting photo's and although at the moment my Flickr account can be migrated to Smugmug without any fee in the short term, there are no guarantees that the situation will remain.

As far as I am aware, Flickr is the only free hosting site and I would strongly suspect that part of Smugmug's business model for the purchase of Flickr is to introduce a fee in the near future. No reason why not, as there is no competition offering a free hosting service.

When this happens, I will have to decide what this service is worth to me, against what they are looking to charge me. I like the convenience of Flickr (Smugmug) and I like the quality that I and others can view my images at, but my only other option is a direct upload, where the quality suffers.

So, I suppose it is "watch this space" and see whether they are going to be sensible, or greedy with their fees.
                    Colin

Comment

Maybe I'm being naive but having read the link I'm not doing anything. It seems to me that my Flickr account, photos and links will all continue just as before. I have probably been sent an email but because I only ever opened that yahoo account to join Flickr and I've never accessed it since I'll probably never know. I'll just wait and see and react should things stop working.
                      I also, like most people, can't be bothered to read the minutiae of the new T&Cs. Terrible, I know, and if asked I would recommend to everyone else that it is best practice that they should. But hey, I'm sure its fine.
                      Canon EOS 7D
                      EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
                      Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
                      flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Originally posted by ctrollen View Post
                        When you first signed up to Flickr you will have had to accept their terms and conditions. As Smugmug now own Flickr you need to accept Smugmug's T&Cs instead.

Obviously if you don't want to accept their T&Cs you will no longer be able to use Flickr.

What is in Smugmug's T&Cs that weren't in Flickr's and that you are reluctant to accept?
                        As previously ststed I do not want to be railroaded from a free to use system to a paid for one. Smugmug do not offer a free version. They say so on their website. The minimum fee is $3.99 per month and they do not, at present, have a plan to have a free version.

Comment

Just found the email in my BT spam folder too. Also found an article on CNET site, extract from report:

SmugMug costs money. Is this the end of free Flickr accounts?

Emphatically not.

"Flickr's free accounts are foundational to its community of influential and engaged photographers. We are not making any changes to Flickr plans or rates at this time," SmugMug said in a tweet. And in a Quora post, MacAskill added, "We are committed to a huge, healthy, vibrant community of people using the free plan."

Don MacAskill is SmugMug Chief Executive. However the 'rates at this time' in the statement still raises questions.
                          Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
                          https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Originally posted by JayJay View Post
                            As previously ststed I do not want to be railroaded from a free to use system to a paid for one. Smugmug do not offer a free version. They say so on their website. The minimum fee is $3.99 per month and they do not, at present, have a plan to have a free version.
                            I would think if you haven’t signed up for a paid account with Flickr and haven’t entered any card details into Flickr for SmugMug to use, your chance of being railroaded into anything is going to be fairly slim? On that basis, I’d say you’re safe to let things ride for a while and see how things play out. At the least, I would imagine SmugMug would need to get your approval of any charges, regardless of what they say in their emails about deleting your account and photos - it’s one thing to assume migration of an account based on someone not saying no, something completely different to take charges without explicit approval...

Personally I have a Flickr Pro account which costs more than the minimum SmugMug account but I would be contacting my card issuer if I see any charges from SmugMug without my explicit approval.
                            EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

As Andy so rightly states ,those of us that go back to when Flickr was a community rather than a yahoo business model many of us had “pro” accounts ,which were charged yearly ,when yahoo took over they introduced massive free account limits and a good few of us reasoned that there was no point retaining a paid for service to get the same result .

When all the changes happened quite a lot of my contacts migrated to another hosting site based in France called” ipernity “ I believe this is still up and running as I saw a link to it the other day .

I’m totally with Robert on this one jay jay I think your causing much ado about nothing sit back and wait and see is the best option

Comment

Working...
                              X