Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Challenge No 145 - Growth - EOS magazine forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Challenge No 145 - Growth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Challenge No 145 - Growth

This months Challenge is Growth. I leave it up to you to interpret this as you wish. Please add a title to add a twist or additional meaning to the work but it in itself should meet the brief.

I am no expert judge or photographer, but I will do my best to give constructive comments on all entrants and I'll choose the top 3 based on my personal assessment of composition, technique, and subject.

I would encourage those new or shy to the forum to enter. Hopefully in doing so you will challenge yourself and have a bit of fun at the same time. This is the first Challenge I have set, I only recently started submitting. It could be you that sets the next Challenge. Good luck all.

The usual rules apply:
    • The competition subject shall be selected by the winner of the preceding competition who will also judge the competition.
    • One picture per person; images should conform to general image posting rules.
    • Please use a Canon EOS camera - DSLR or M series.
    • Posted images should be taken during the running period of the competition. Any images submitted that were taken before the competition started, or after the competition has ended, will be deemed invalid.
    • Images 800 pixels widest max (to help those with small monitors).
    • No Photoshop frames and borders.
    • Include a title for the image.
    • Please, NO comments on images- on this or another thread- until the round is over.
    • No canvassing e.g. “I’m thinking of posting this image for the challenge, what do you think?”
    • I will pick 1st, 2nd and 3rd favourite images (please don’t PM me to discuss my choices).

Closing date for entries is midnight (UK BST) Saturday 25 August.

Have fun.
    Nigel
    EOS 80D, EF-S 55-250 4-5.6 IS, EF-S 18-55, EF-S 10-18, EF 50 1.8

Re: Challenge No 145 - Growth

"Overgrowth":

Andy
    Canon 700D, Canon 1100D
    EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 II
    [Wishlist: EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro]

Comment

Cactus Growth

Last edited by ST-EOS; 12-08-2018, 07:31.
      Peter

Feel free to browse my
      Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Succulent growth

Succulent growth reworked
        by AlexR!, on Flickr
        Last edited by AlexR!; 15-08-2018, 18:59. Reason: Reworked and replaced image
        Canon EOS 7D
        EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
        Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
        flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Fledgling growth
          Growth right to left by Gary Cantwell, on Flickr
          Gary Cantwell LSINWP. ASINWP.

Comment

Aerial Roots
            Aerial Root Growth by Ian, on Flickr
            Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

The wrong sort of growth. (self portrait, before diet)

For EOS challenge by David Miller, on Flickr

Comment

Mary, Mary, quite contrary...

[IMG]IMG_7144 by Barbara Bett, on Flickr[/IMG]
                Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

To make the garden grow

.DAVID.
                  Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

Thanks to all those that entered, the challenge is now closed. I'll go away to consider my verdict...
                    Nigel

Comment

Firstly thank you to everyone for your entries. I am no expert judge or photographer so please accept that I have made my comments on my own views and I hope they are constructive.

Andy - Overgrowth. Good use of the subject title. I like the colours in this shot and also the use of depth of field.

Peter - Cactus Growth. I like the flowers on the cactus as it so unusual to see them, they almost look alien. You have made good use of limited depth of field but I would have liked all of the flowers to have been in focus.

Alex - Succulent growth. Great expression and feeling of growth. Good side lighting and exposure.

Garry - Fledgling growth. Lovely shot, all three birds well framed and in focus with a background that does not distract. I think I would have reversed the shot as I have a tendency to view it from left to right.

Ian - Aerial Roots. Great use of a macro lens. The different textures of the root shouts to me growth. A very sharp image.

David Miller - The wrong sort of growth. This brought a smile to my face. I think from a photographic point of view the curve of the body needed something more to help express the shape, the background I found distracting and the flash leaves a strong shadow.

Barbara - Mary, Mary, quite contrary... Lovely choice subject. The framing is good and we do not need to see more of the people as we can see the child and adult enough, the feet are nicely positioned in the centre of the floor tile. Good focus and shutter speed as the droplets are captured coming out of the watering can and I like the ripples on the puddles around the feet.

David Stallard - To make the garden grow. Great use of the Challenge subject. Pollen on top of the bee is in focus, the colours are very vibrant. For me the landscape view with the flower and bee almost in the vertical plane distracts a little, I think you have used rule of thirds to position the bee but this means the flower to my mind is not in the best position.

Now down to the judging, it was a tough decision. The top three based on my personal assessment of composition, technique, and subject are, in third place David Stallard, in second place Peter and the winner is Barbara.

Congratulations Barbara, I look forward to your Challenge and once again thank you to everyone else.
                      Nigel

Comment

Thanks for the interesting challenge, Nigel. and great comments on each. So congratulations to Bo; the trophy goes back out to the Balearics and Mr Bo gets another starring turn as a winning model. And well done Peter and David for such excellent runner-up entries.
                        Canon EOS 7D
                        EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
                        Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
                        flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Well done to all three of you especially Bo, well deserved. Thanks for setting such an interesting challenge Nigel, lost a couple of pound already, so could not repeat the shot. :)

Comment

Excellent critique and a very challenging subject - hence leaving it literally to the very last day before coming up with anything.

Hats off to the 'few' that took part, some really good interpretations! Congratulations Bo - another terrific shot, look forward to seeing what you come up with next

.DAVID.
                            Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

Congratulations Bo and well done to David and Peter. And thanks to Nigel for the competition and comments.

Look forward to your new challenge Bo.

Ian
                              Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

Working...
                              X