Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Buttermere sentinels HDR - EOS magazine forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buttermere sentinels HDR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buttermere sentinels HDR

This is a three shot HDR done in Skylum Aurora. Taken from the same area as the previous Buttermere reflection.

John

[IMG]5D-5778_AuroraHDR2019-edit.jpg by John Swanborough, on Flickr[/IMG]

Re: Buttermere sentinels HDR

That's very nice indeed and I'm glad to see I'm not the only one using Aurora 2019 (which I think is far superior to 2018).

Cheers,
    John

Comment

I like that a lot!

I've been considering getting Aurora although probably only after I've been away somewhere nice and have a need for it
      Chris
      80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Very nice.
        7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

Thanks for comments guys
          Originally posted by ColytonJohn View Post
          and I'm glad to see I'm not the only one using Aurora 2019 (which I think is far superior to 2018).
          Have to say I was never a fan of HDR previously. I'd tried Nik on single images and didn't like it, or anyone else's attempts. Then Tigger kept referring to Aurora so downloaded the trial and had more success with that, on single images and eventually bought it. I still don't use it a great deal, mainly inside National Trust properties etc, where there are bright windows. I think this was probably the first time I've tried it on a landscape shot.

John

Comment

There is a free version download with the latest issue of digital camera magazine
            Alex

EOS R5 EOS 7D Mk ii Lenses EFS 18-55mm EFS 55-250mm EF 50mm 24-105mm Sigma EX 70-200 Sigma 150-600c

Comment

It seems to work very well John and I do like the image.

However, it appears to have done too good a job, because in real life the reflection is always darker. Not a major problem to overcome - just do a selection of the reflection and darken it a little.
              Colin

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
                However, it appears to have done too good a job, because in real life the reflection is always darker. Not a major problem to overcome - just do a selection of the reflection and darken it a little.
                Thanks Colin, there is an easier solution, just flip the image vertically, then the bottom will be darker....simples.
                Being serious, about three hours ago I was looking on another forum and the same comment was made about a lake reflection being too light but I hadn't noticed it on my own shot. I'll try your suggestion and also try a grad from the bottom in Lightroom to see which looks best.
                Thanks
                John

Comment

No idea of the techno stuff and not a fan of HDR, but I do like this shot, nice work.
                  Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way

Comment

No idea of the techno stuff
                    Sometimes, you realise that something is not quite right even if you are not sure why.

In the early days of Photoshop, a new version came out where it was easier to change skies and during my commentaries as a judge, I would add in to the analysis of the shot that the sky had been changed. The author would often ask during the tea break how I knew, as he had done the most perfect Photoshop technique and not wishing to give away all of my secrets I would mention that "you can't kid a kidder."

It was quite obvious that they had taken an image of a raptor, or owl flying and no doubt they had ended up with a dull, or washed out sky. They probably had a collection of interesting skies in their files just for this occasion. Their error was to use a subject image taken with a long telephoto and a sky image taken with a wide angle. Also, the wide angle sky was perfectly sharp, which it never would be, as a long telephoto has a depth of field of just a few feet when stopped well down.

Not that I have a folder of interesting out of focus skies, taken with a telephoto though .............. that just wouldn't be cricket!
                    Colin

Comment

super shot John

There is a slight halo where the hills join the sky but that is probably due to the download from flickr
                      Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                      flickr

Comment

Lovley composition John, well captured.
                        Peter

Feel free to browse my
                        Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
                          super shot John
                          There is a slight halo where the hills join the sky but that is probably due to the download from flickr
                          Having looked at the original, there is a very faint halo caused by the HDR and then made slightly worse when uploading to Flickr.

Peter, are you still having problems seeing my images with Tapatalk ?

Update on the reflection being too light as pointed out by Colin. I did darken the reflection and it did look better. I then looked at the three originals and on all of them, the reflection is lighter than the view. I took about 60 shots showing reflections, over a three hour spell and about 75% of them have lighter reflections. It seems that when the camera is pointing towards the sunlight, as in this one, the reflection is lighter but when I shot further to the right and the sun was more behind me, then the reflections are darker.

John

Comment

Originally posted by Swanny48 View Post

Peter, are you still having problems seeing my images with Tapatalk ?
                            John
                            I am John hence my late response, I had to wait for the valves to warm up on the steam driven PC [emoji23]

Sent from somewhere in Gods County using Tapatalk
                            Peter

Feel free to browse my
                            Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Working...
                            X