Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Extension Tube Upgrade - EOS magazine forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Extension Tube Upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extension Tube Upgrade

Have not used my tubes for ages (Canon EF12 & EF25 version 1) and my outfit has developed ending with 7D MkII and EF-S lenses. So something had to done as I could not take real close-ups with that lot. I looked for comments on this situation, but did not find anything to confirm my thinking. All one has to do is buy an extra EF12 MkII, no part exchanges. I'll expand with some coded combinations.
    Camera (EOS 7D MkII) is C
    Ext Tube (EF12 MkI) is 12R
    Ext Tube (EF12 MkII) is 12RW
    Ext Tube (EF25 MkI) is 25R The R & W refer to Red & White dots on tubes)

Using the above in various combinations is as follows:-
    C + 12R gives 12mm with EF lenses
    C + 25R gives 25mm with EF lenses
    C + 12R + 25R gives 37mm with EF lenses
    C + 12RW gives 12mm with EF & EFS lenses
    C + 12R +12RW gives 24mm with EF & EFS lenses
    C + 25R +12RW gives 37mm with EF & EFS lenses.
    Have I gone wrong anywhere over this arrangement that makes it unnecessary to buy a new 25mm tube?

Hopefully no bad reactions.
    Regards
    Myrddin Jones

Re: Extension Tube Upgrade

Hi Myrddin

I have followed your logic and it seems sound to me, albeit slightly complicated. I think I would swallow the extra cost and trade up to the MKII extension tubes. They are fully compatible with EF and EFs lenses and would just generally make life easier.
    Colin

Comment

Alternatively you could buy a set of Kenko tubes giving you more combinations and a greater total length for more magnification.
      Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

In all honesty they are just tubes with electrical connections ,the cheap Chinese ones off of e.bay at £30 a set do just as good a job

Comment

Thanks for those 3 responses, oddly enough I tried to buy from some usual suppliers and found that the Canon 12mm tube is out of stock. So I made do with my 60mm macro lens and ceased to think of chasing for the Canon tube. Thanks again.
          Myrddin Jones

Comment

The only thing I would watch out for is whether the non-Canon tubes have a large opening. Some third party types have a rectangular window that stops you putting an extender in the back, should you want to do that. I don't know about the Mk I tubes but I guess they don't attach to the EF-S lenses. In which case is it not possible to buy the Mk II 12 as you supposed, then that would let you stack your Mk I 12 and 25 to give you a total of 49mm?

Comment

Working...
            X