Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 What for the short list? - EOS magazine forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What for the short list?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What for the short list?

Hi, later this year I should be getting my 25 year long service award from work. I can get high street vouchers for the likes of John Lewis/M&S/Amazon, they have just added WEX to the list. So I might be able to spend the vouchers on something for the camera, but I haven't got a short list sorted, and it is a day trip to the nearest WEX. Any ideas on what I should include on the list?

I currently have a 6D, 35mm F2, 70-200 F4 and a 400mm F5.6, a Gitzo tripod from my film days, no working flash guns. I like architecture, landscapes and general photograph. I've started hill walking again, so don't want it to be too heavy. I will have up to £800 to spend, I have no idea what I should consider, wider angle lens, camera change?

Thanks

Chris

Re: What for the short list?

Hi Cris, very well done on your award. A 25 year service award is rare these days when either through desire or redundancy, most change jobs around 2 years.

Looking at your list, you have a gap between 35mm and 70mm and there just happens to be an EF 24-70mm F4 L available at WEX for £789. Or, put a little towards it and the EF 24-105mm F4 L is available at £999.

To stretch your budget further, there are used examples at WEX for around half the new price in condition 8 and 9 and a couple of "open Box" examples at a considerable saving.

Hope that helps.
    Colin

Comment

If you dont mind imported equipment....

Online Retailer of photography equipment & electronics. Including DSLR cameras, lenses, laptops, tablets, batteries, filters. From Canon Olympus Sigma Apple Samsung LaCie Sandisk & Adata.

EF24-105F4L MkII for £699 new (import)

EF8-15mm F4L £850

or EOS RP for £899 with adaptor if you fancy mirrorless
      Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

As you say you like architecture, landscapes and general stuff I’m surprised the EF 24-105 L isn’t already glued on to the front of your camera as an everyday pick up and go. Would be my choice.
        Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

It would be 24-105 L for me
          Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

It’s nice to get something for loyal service. We get £1000 for 25 years service. I bought a very expensive pair of headphones. Now been there 30 years.
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/150977425@N05/

Comment

Wow, some employers are way more generous than mine...shocked.gif

I've still got my recent, belated, award to spend too....
              Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

My 25 year award was £200 and I spent it on a Canon EOS body and lens... an EOS 650 and EF 35-105 but that was way back in 1988 soon after the autofocus 650, the first in the now very long EOS line, was released. For info the body was £250 and the lens £210 so I had to add to my award and, I suppose, I still am to this day

Cheers,
                John

Comment

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

I was at a work meeting in Manchester on Friday and thought I would drop in to Wex before catching the train home. It was very busy, as it was an open day, but it meant I could speak to someone from Canon and try a few lens. I tried:

24 - 105 F4L, which I didn't feel comfortable with and 24 - 70 F4L, this I liked for handling and size.

Then the Canon guy passed me a 16 - 35mm F4L. It wasn't on the my list but he said he had one for landscapes and buildings photography.

I took a few photos and brought them home, while showing the wife, her comment was the 24 - 70mm ones looked mushy compared to the 16-35mm and I should go for that lens. I did agree it was a "wow" moment, much sharper and more vibrant and that was with the lens wide open, camera set to AV. Seems like I will have to save up or part exchange the 35mm F2 IS.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Stackman View Post
                    Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

Then the Canon guy passed me a 16 - 35mm F4L. It wasn't on the my list but he said he had one for landscapes and buildings photography.

Chris
                    I have and use the 16-35 f4, well worth considering Chris
                    Peter

Feel free to browse my
                    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Very perceptive of Mrs. Stackman. I recently described elsewhere how I'd compared a 17-40 f4L, 16-35 f4L and 16-35 f2.8L and that, in my trial shots at different apertures and focal lengths, the 16-35 f4L won hands down. You will not be disappointed

Cheers,
                      John

Comment

Working...
                      X