Canon ef 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Canon ef 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM

I do wander around,but a lot of my wildlife photography is either from my car or from a hide, so my next accesory is a clamp and ball type mount for hide tables and car window(I have a 4 x 4 so can get off road). I'm also looking around for a small hide that I can carry around,old army camo netting is a bit limited,not always some where to hang it.
    Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way

Comment

Not been on the forum for a while so apologies.

Went out for a stroll this morning @-12deg C and saw this little fellow all puffed up.

Canon 5D MkII EF100-400 F4.5/5.6L IS USM AE mode 1/350 sec @ f5.6 ISO100 FL400mm (heavy crop)

Shows what this lens can achive even with a heavy crop.
      Attached Files
      Slàinte,

Malkie

I would be grateful for all constructive comments both good and not so good. I wont bite

Slàinte mhor a h-uile là a chi 's nach fhaic

Comment

Good take of the Robbin. You did well to pick it out of the branches and the catchlight in its eye is the finishing touch.
        del

Comment

It is a fantastic bit of kit, I use mine mainly for birds, usually handheld. The only tiny criticism is the loss of auto focus with the 1.4x convertor attached. I find it is an issue as sometimes, even at 400mm, it's not quite enough for birds unless they are stationary and you can manually focus. As I say, a minor issue really. I also use it with the 500d close up lens which can give excellent results. Not true macro but I find quite acceptable if you are on a budget.
          http://www.richrogers.photography

Comment

Originally posted by tigerburnie View Post
            I do wander around,but a lot of my wildlife photography is either from my car or from a hide, so my next accesory is a clamp and ball type mount for hide tables and car window(I have a 4 x 4 so can get off road). I'm also looking around for a small hide that I can carry around,old army camo netting is a bit limited,not always some where to hang it.
            Did you find a hide - if not for info I use a Stealth Gear hide - worth considering

Comment

Originally posted by r.rogers View Post
              It is a fantastic bit of kit, I use mine mainly for birds, usually handheld. The only tiny criticism is the loss of auto focus with the 1.4x convertor attached. I find it is an issue as sometimes, even at 400mm, it's not quite enough for birds unless they are stationary and you can manually focus. As I say, a minor issue really. I also use it with the 500d close up lens which can give excellent results. Not true macro but I find quite acceptable if you are on a budget.
              That's because the lens reports the max aperture is over 5.6 , this causes the camera (firmware threshold) to turn off the auto focus .
              I have read that many people put a small piece of insulation tape over some of the contacts between lens and camera , this stops the camera shutting down the AF ...but I am unsure if this then means you have to use the over/under meter to set exposure (IE certain modes will not work) and probably means you can only use the lens wide open .

I am at work at moment , if it's any help I can see if I can find more info for you .
              There may also be something in the MagicLantern firmware that would wok for you too (again I can have a look) .
              Last edited by Foggy; 07-03-2012, 12:52. Reason: I am a dumb typist !

Comment

A great lens!!
                I use my one hand held with the camera set to Auto ISO.
                Excellent IQ on my 5D2 and now also the 7D (as can be seen in my recent Gannet uploads)
                Funnily enough It was really soft with my 1D3 even with MA which was a bit of a bummer.

Mike
                www.mstphoto.zenfolio.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27554645@N05/

Comment

I love my 100 to 400. hasn't had a great work out lately, but was after a record shot of a very fast moving bird that keeps taking the garden birds, managed these two:

will admit had to sharpen a bit, I'm a landscape photographer and am so used to tripods, I also have a tremor (mild cerebral palsy) so you can see how good the image stabilisation is! A great lens.
                  Sorry I've not been around much. Sadly the ankle surgery and carpal tunnel surgery have both been unsuccessful, so have to wait and see what happens next. I hope to be shooting a lot more in the future!

Twitter: @PicturesqueScot

Comment

another one of mine (uploaded to RSPB's site so hope this works), this was with tripod and no sharpening:

Sorry I've not been around much. Sadly the ankle surgery and carpal tunnel surgery have both been unsuccessful, so have to wait and see what happens next. I hope to be shooting a lot more in the future!

Twitter: @PicturesqueScot

Comment

It's a great lens when you need the reach but not all the time. I've used mine on many occasions when I can move around changing position. It handles low light better at the short end, but still a good lens.

Colin H.

Comment

Originally posted by Foggy View Post
                        That's because the lens reports the max aperture is over 5.6 , this causes the camera (firmware threshold) to turn off the auto focus .
                        I have read that many people put a small piece of insulation tape over some of the contacts between lens and camera , this stops the camera shutting down the AF ...but I am unsure if this then means you have to use the over/under meter to set exposure (IE certain modes will not work) and probably means you can only use the lens wide open .

I am at work at moment , if it's any help I can see if I can find more info for you .
                        There may also be something in the MagicLantern firmware that would wok for you too (again I can have a look) .
                        Thanks for that, I would be interested to get the auto focus working so any info you have would be greatly appreciated. I am going to get myself a 500mm one day !!
                        http://www.richrogers.photography

Comment

I have had one for about three years now , The push / pull design is fast if you need to zoom rapidly in or out, image quality is good stopped down to f11 .

Rumors Canon are going to announce a new 100-400mm in 2012.

Comment

The insulation trick over the contacts works and will allow auto-focus. I used it for a short period of time when I had my 100 - 400mm, but it was so dreadfully slow with a crop body, that I took the tape off and manually focussed. Dreadfully slow doesn't begin to give you an idea of how slow it was and how badly it "hunted" to find focus.

As a technical exercise it was interesting, but Canon knew what they were doing when they switched that function off.

Colin
                            Colin

Comment

I used it for a short period of time when I had my 100 - 400mm, but it was so dreadfully slow with a crop body
                              I tried it a few times when I had mine - complete waste of time, even when it did manage to focus the shots were never pin sharp

Stan
                              Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                              flickr

Comment

I had one and to be honest it was a lens that could yield good results or not so good results (Now that good be me). I eventually swapped it for a 300 f/4 and have no regrets. From a taxonomy point of view the 100-400L is in the Canis Marmitus group along with the 17-40L. You either like it and get good results (like I hopefully do with the 17-40L) or you don't.

Comment

Working...
                                X