I eventually swapped it for a 300 f/4
    same here - primes are always going to be better than a zoom

Stan
    Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
    flickr

Comment

Re: Canon ef 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM

If you don't want to be restricted, then this is a cracking lens, use mine for sport regularly in fine Irish weather, never let me down. Seen one advertised recently at a good price and was going to buy another. Have a 300mm 2.8, but use my 100-400 almost all the time, except night time flood lit sport.

Comment

primes are always going to be better than a zoom
        The new 200 - 400mm L certainly challenges that view ............. at a price!
        Colin

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
          The new 200 - 400mm L certainly challenges that view ............. at a price!
          From my brief play with the 200-400 it's an amazing lens that breaks all the preconceptions about zooms (and indeed teleconverters). For those able to justify it or afford it ...

Comment

For those able to justify it or afford it ...
            Tell me about it.

If Mrs C came up with one of her ultimatums ................. it's either that lens or me! it would be a tough call (Not really).
            Colin

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
              primes are always going to be better than a zoom
              Agree - If they're manufactured at roughly the same time.

Advances in optic production mean modern zooms - like the 200-400 - seriously compete with even slightly older primes in the same optical range. Consider the fact of their versatility and ease of use, and very soon they'll be the de-facto lenses.

Mike
              flickr
              5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

I have to say that I have given some thought to buying this lens, but have been somewhat put off by the 'pump action' zoom feature.

However, you guys that have the lens, don't seem to be finding it an issue.

Dave
                Dave

Comment

This was my first L lens and was happy enough with it until Dee bought her 300 f4 and coupled it with a 1.4 converter. Within a week, I bought one for myself and the 100-400 never got used again

Stan
                  Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                  flickr

Comment

Hi Stan,
                    Can you tell us the reason why you think it was so much better?
                    James
                    James Boardman Woodend
                    www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

Originally posted by jimsphotography View Post
                      Hi Stan,
                      Can you tell us the reason why you think it was so much better?
                      James
                      Indeed Stan, there's at least two of us that would value your comments, on this lens.

Dave
                      Dave

Comment

I thought I'd give an update on this, as a few years have passed, also there's loads available secondhand these days and someone might be having a think about one.
                        Firstly I should say I use this exclusively on the 1D4, so this may not apply to all, but I have had a ball with this lens and still use it as my main lens. I have no trouble using it with the 1.4 extender, full auto focus and, as I was informed elsewhere, I have a slooooooow auto focus with the 2 times convertor in live view mode, ok for stationary subjects.
                        Yes there is an amount of dust in the lens, but it would seem looking at the stuff for sale on the market, all lenses get dust in them, including prime lenses. So to conclude, would I recommend it...…………….yes I would, am I thinking of upgrading to something else...…...yes as a lot of my togging is done in poor light(dark forest is one location I go to a lot), so a faster lens is on my hunting list.
                        Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way

Comment

Working...
                        X