Re: Work.

Originally posted by Stan View Post
    Quite a unique perspective Phil
    I too like the tunnel

Stan
    Thanks Stan.

Comment

Ok so i had another play round with the first image lol and just cropped the top and I tried it as a single image HDR

Comment

For me the railing adds to the first image, it’s a shot from the back of a train rather than just a shot of railway track from the highish POV.

I'd prefer not to loss the relatively unique viewpoint ? If anything I’d like to see more of the back of the train.

Trev

Comment

This Photo was taken looking thru my front window of the loco while climbing the Dashwood on the Coastal Pacific Passenger service that runs between Picton-Christchurch here in NZ.A great place for trains stalling when its wet when your train is at full load.Here in New Zealand all our trains are run Single manned ie:just one crew in the cab.

Comment

All I can say is that I'm Jealous

Comment

Kia ora, Phil (from another Kiwi, though long-settled over here). Stunning images, and I prefer them exactly as you first presented them. The bar (bull-catcher or whatever) in the first image puts the viewer right in the picture and gives a great sense of immediacy - and I love the colour gradations in the sky. The "rule of thirds" isn't always the best option, IMHO! And how well I remember learning in primary school why our NZ railways had a narrower gauge to negotiate the rugged terrain. Beautiful shots!

Comment

Another vote for the tunnel shot.
                Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                Di's Flickr

Comment

Another apology for hijacking your post Phil but I thought you might know the driver!

Taken at Springfield during a photo stop on the Christchurch to Greymouth 'Tranzalpine' in 2004
                  Canon EOS30 with 28-80mm scanned from Kodachrome.

Wonderful country with interesting railways, spent 6 weeks there & took about 500 slides - I wonder how many digital images I would take today!

Bob
                  Attached Files
                  Bob

EOS 6D mkII, EOS 6D, BG-E13 Grip, EOS 30 (Film), EOS M5, EF-M 22mm f2.0, EF-M 18-150mm, 35mm f2.0 IS, 50mm f1.8 STM, 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L IS, 70-200f4 L IS, 430EX II, 270EX II, Manfrotto 190XDB +496RC2 tripod, Op Tech straps & Think Tank bags.

Comment

Originally posted by bobowen View Post
                    Another apology for hijacking your post Phil but I thought you might know the driver!

Taken at Springfield during a photo stop on the Christchurch to Greymouth 'Tranzalpine' in 2004
                    Canon EOS30 with 28-80mm scanned from Kodachrome.

Wonderful country with interesting railways, spent 6 weeks there & took about 500 slides - I wonder how many digital images I would take today!

Bob
                    Hi Bob,The guy in the cab looks like Peter Harris,i think retired well before 2004 tho but maybe wrong.

Comment

Hi Phil

Just found my old photologs - the shots were taken on Thursday March 4 2004.
                      Went twice to visit my daughter in Hastings where the railway literally runs through the town centre!
                      She is back in the UK now so ni more visits.
                      Love to see some modern traction photos of NZ.

Bob
                      Bob

EOS 6D mkII, EOS 6D, BG-E13 Grip, EOS 30 (Film), EOS M5, EF-M 22mm f2.0, EF-M 18-150mm, 35mm f2.0 IS, 50mm f1.8 STM, 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L IS, 70-200f4 L IS, 430EX II, 270EX II, Manfrotto 190XDB +496RC2 tripod, Op Tech straps & Think Tank bags.

Comment

Nice images love the simplicity of #2 tunnel shot, really envious of your job.

Ray

Comment

Originally posted by bobowen View Post
                          Hi Phil

Just found my old photologs - the shots were taken on Thursday March 4 2004.
                          Went twice to visit my daughter in Hastings where the railway literally runs through the town centre!
                          She is back in the UK now so ni more visits.
                          Love to see some modern traction photos of NZ.

Bob
                          Hi Bob,heres a couple I took yesterday as i was waiting to cross a Northbound train.The locomotive is a DXB these are rated at 3300hp & the rear loco is like the one you posted a DC class which are rated around 1400hp.The weight of tonnage on my train yesterday was only 1266ton & 500m in lenght,top speed for our Express frieght trains is 80km/h due to only 3ft/6inch gauge.

DXB5016

Comment

Working...
                          X