Safari

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Safari

Has anyone been on a safari to Kenya, like the one that Experience Seminars are running this year? Or is anyone booked to go on it?

Re: Safari

I have been on safari to Kenya many years ago. My current favourite is South Africa- been there twice now.
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

I have been a couple of time Bob and hope to go again.

There are "holiday" safari's and photography safari's. You want the latter. Worse accommodation, primitive showers, up before dawn, but much better results.

Colin
      Colin

Comment

Dont normally do early mornings but when it is for something as special as this.......

Comment

You will enjoy it Bob, so long as your truck isnt full of OAP's lol

Comment

Next question is what lenses. I have a 18-135mm zoom and a 55-250mm zoom. Are these going to be sufficient or do I need to hire a longer lens?

Comment

If you have one camera body, stick to zooms. Flexibility will be a great benefit and managing and changing lenses in a vehicle and with loads of fine dust in the air can be an issue. Your lenses will do pretty well but you may want to consider a 100-400. I don't think they do night drives in Kenya so maybe no great urgency for fast lenses.
              agree on the photo safari view.

Comment

May I suggest taking a monopod. It will be very useful when you stop in your vehicle to take pictures.
                It is a great experience. I loved it, but be prepared for VERY bumpy tracks. Hang on to your equipment.

All the best

Ian
                EOS600D, 17-40mm L, 70-300mm IS, 50mm f1.8, 18-135mm STM, Powershot S95, 12 extension tube, Speedlight 380 EX.

Comment

I use fast shutter speeds to stop camera shake and I find this is OK for me.
                  Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

On both of my trips, other photographers were using 100 - 400mm .............. except the Noink chap!

The landrovers were all equiped with substantial beanbags, but I took mine empty, prepared to fill it with local beans lentils or whatever. Didn't need to! I kept my bodies in a protective sleeve when I wasn't using them. Just some nylon tent bags, so it was protection against dust and rain rather than knocks.

Take spare batteries and cards. We had opportunities to re-charge batteries, but you don't count on it in the bush. I "cheated" and took a car charger
                    and as I was the only one to think of it, my batteries were always on charge in the Landrover's cigarette socket.

Colin
                    Colin

Comment

Hi Bob

I've been on many safaris, in fact we go twice a year to Kenya always staying at the same camp - the one that Experience Seminars use - Kicheche Mara Camp, a first class camp. We always have exclusive use of a vehicle and Driver - always George, a first class guide. Been there so many times George named his new daughter after my wife - Sandra. He's become a personal friend.

Shall be off again at the end of August for two weeks, always travel by Kenya Airways - the best! Then Safarilink from Wilson Airfield to the Mara.

Don't book through a Travel Againt - you will pay the earth. We always do our own booking on-line.

Anything you want to know just shout.

Trev
                      Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
                      https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Bob

Forgot to mention. --- Gear

I always take a few bodies 1D 5D 7D, 100-400 and Sigma 50-500 plus 16-35 WA. You can charge batteries at night in the camp but like Colin I take a car charger as well. Plenty of cards are a must - you can't have two many! Bean Bags are available in the vehicles and camera mounts can be fitted if you ask.
                        One point to remember with regards to gear and other baggage if you are flying out out Wilson Airfield into the bush there is a weight restriction of 15Kg. Having said that its amazing what a few Dollar bills will do at the Check In!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trev
                        Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
                        https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Very sound advice Trev ............I also stay at Kicheche.

Colin
                          Colin

Comment

Hi Bob,

I try and get out to Africa almost every year for safari. I'm off to Botswana and Zimbabwe this September, which i'm really looking forward to. Kenya is a marvellous destination and i'm assuming you'll be going to the Masai Mara and other national parks? As far as equipment is concerned, experience tells me that you'll need at least 250mm if you have an APS-C camera. Although in places like the Mara you'll get quite close to game, 250mm will still be quite limiting at times. If you can, get as much focal length and quality as you can afford. You will also want/need a wide angle lens for the stunning landscape/scenery shots. If possible, take 2 bodies just to avoid swapping lenses in very dusty environments. Also helps not to have to 'faff' about with lens changes when you've found a great photo opportunity. All the other stuff the guys have mentioned stands. Batteries, beanbags, protective sleeves (or pillow cases), chargers, memory, memory, memory and more memory. You'll be taking more shots than you would imagine so always have enough storage. Take your laptop/netbook or storage device too.

With regards to the early starts. There's nothing like it. The atmosphere on an early morning drive is something else. It's also the one of the best times to go as you're more likely to see more 'active' game. As the day goes on (from 9am onwards) the heat intensifies and the animals seek shade and rest. Afternoon drives are good but early morning and evening drives tend to be more fruitful.

Anyway, just my two cents. I hope you have an amazing time. If you have any questions just ask.

All the best.

Comment

Working...
                            X