Wide Angle for a 7D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wide Angle for a 7D

Narrowed it down to 2, Canon 10-22-Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, then I found the Tokina 11-16 2.8 plus the older much cheaper Sigma 17-35, opinions please !!
    Thanks
    Graham
    Canon 100D, 18-135 IS STM, 50 1.8 STM, 220EX Flash.

Re: Wide Angle for a 7D

If the budget isn't a limiting factor, it has to be the Canon.

Colin
    Colin

Comment

.... or possibly the 17-40L f/4 if you dont need an ultra wide .... also cheaper than the 10-22 and faster.

The 17-40 is a good replacement for the kit lens
      ef-r

Comment

I find that the Sigma 10-20 is an excellent lens (see my post Bangor and environs under Locations), very sharp,very built built and excellent value for money. Much cheaper than the Canon 10-22. IMHO one of the best super wide angle lenses around.
        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

I second the Canon choice, well built, sharp, and when the time comes to sell, it's worth more. I bought mines for £650 a year ago, sold it for £550 a week ago.

John

Comment

I love my Canon 10 to 22, one of my favourite lenses to use. I've gone to full frame now and thinking of getting rid of it, so John27 where did you manage to get £550 for it!?
            Sorry I've not been around much. Sadly the ankle surgery and carpal tunnel surgery have both been unsuccessful, so have to wait and see what happens next. I hope to be shooting a lot more in the future!

Twitter: @PicturesqueScot

Comment

Theres a canon 10-22 for sale on the FORUM here go for it - I couldnt afford it unfortunately

Comment

Originally posted by kiwigav View Post
                I love my Canon 10 to 22, one of my favourite lenses to use. I've gone to full frame now and thinking of getting rid of it, so John27 where did you manage to get £550 for it!?
                On ebay, I was surprised but happy. I know there was fees, but still happy with the result.

John

Comment

The 17-40 would be a real asset particularly if you are planning on full frame at some point- but its equivalent to 27mm FF on a 7D crop of course against 16mm equivalent of the 10-22.
                  There was a decent review in AP a few weeks back comparing these - Canon, Sigma, Tamron etc...
                  Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Silly question ? Why does an EF-S 10-22 which will only fit a crop camera become 16-27 when fitted to a 7D, it won't fit F/F so why is it discribed as 10-22 is the question in the first place. Yes things change when you fit "EF" lenses on a crop body I know so why are EF-S not listed in there true focal lenght on the camara's there designed for ?
                    Still looking for answers on the Tokina 11-16 !

Comment

Silly question ? Why does an EF-S 10-22 which will only fit a crop camera become 16-27 when fitted to a 7D, it won't fit F/F so why is it discribed as 10-22 is the question in the first place. Yes things change when you fit "EF" lenses on a crop body I know so why are EF-S not listed in there true focal lenght on the camara's there designed for ?

Comment

It gives the equivalent field of view as you would get from a 16-27 on a full frame camera is your answer. 35mm having been around for so long there's a habit of still describing every lens as though it were fitted to one. Nothing changes when you fit a lens to a body with a different sensor size - a 200mm fitted to a crop doesn't become a 320mm. It's still a 200mm, you're just restricted to the middle 2/3rd of the image.

Tokina has a reputation as a good lens, but with a much smaller zoom factor I dismissed it early on. Not as wide where it's wide and a long way short at the narrower end, I couldn't see the point.
                        Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

The Tokina is great for wide landscapes and opens up some possiblities indoors, dramatic Crowd shots etc
                          The constant 2.8 aperture V the canon and sigma 5.6 at the "long end" if you don't fancy an other 2 stops of light
                          the sigma will be OK I have both these lenses, if I had to sell one (which I don't) the sigma would go, as it is the least use to me.

The sigma is very sluggish auto foucussing in low light this is an issue for me, but may not be for you.
                          I have too many wider lenses but each is good for specific things.

Trev

Comment

Thanks for all your answer !
                            Graham

Comment

Originally posted by Woolley View Post
                              Nothing changes when you fit a lens to a body with a different sensor size - a 200mm fitted to a crop doesn't become a 320mm. It's still a 200mm, you're just restricted to the middle 2/3rd of the image.
                              Thought I'd add a little clarification here, it obviously doesn't change the physical side of the lens but it does give you a lens length of the crop factor, a 100mm lens on a 1.6 crop camera is the equivalent of a 160mm lens on a FF camera, or the 200mm gives you the length of 320mm equivalent on a FF. This is why wildlife & macro photographers love the 1D Mk IV or the 7D a 400mm lens turns into a 640mm, then you can add extenders and make it a very long lens at a cheaper price!

There's a lot more information about crop censors here: http://www.digital-slr-guide.com/crop-factor.html
                              the 3 photos of the butterfly board here: http://www.ophrysphotography.co.uk/p...ameandcrop.htm show a FF, 1.3 crop, 1.6 crop from the same tripod spot with a 180mm FF macro = to 234mm on the 1.3 and 288mm on the 1.6 crop. Sadly I can't find anything that shows distance, if I have time tomorrow I'll do a few comparison shots from a 20D and FF camera with a 400mm lens.

As for the question I love my 10 - 22 Canon on my 20D it's a fantastic lens! The big question is will you ever decide to move to a FF camera? As I have the 10 - 22 sitting around doing almost nothing these days. A real shame! I have thought of selling it many times, but never sure, some days it's fun to take it out as it's quite light and versatile. I haven't used the others.

It would be great if you the 10 - 22 did fit a FF camera, there are ways to do it: http://www.flickr.com/groups/canonds...57604422834954 but I've never taken the plunge, guess it would give me a very wide lens though!
                              Sorry I've not been around much. Sadly the ankle surgery and carpal tunnel surgery have both been unsuccessful, so have to wait and see what happens next. I hope to be shooting a lot more in the future!

Twitter: @PicturesqueScot

Comment

Working...
                              X