Canon Macro Lenses 100 or 180 mm?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canon Macro Lenses 100 or 180 mm?

Hi all, I am normally a landscape photographer but due to numerous injuries of late I have to stay near the house and thought I'd give macro a try and am wondering what peoples feelings on the

Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM
    vs the
    Canon EF 180mm f/3.5 L USM Macro Lens

I know the 2.8 is obviously wider opened right up, but other than that I've no great details.

I would be using a full frame body and I have a 1.4 multiplyer to extend the lens if need be.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

regards and thanks
    Gav.
    Sorry I've not been around much. Sadly the ankle surgery and carpal tunnel surgery have both been unsuccessful, so have to wait and see what happens next. I hope to be shooting a lot more in the future!

Twitter: @PicturesqueScot

Re: Canon Macro Lenses 100 or 180 mm?

The 100 mk2 is a belter

Comment

Hi Gav,

Have you checked if either is compatible with the extender? I have both lenses and, in my opinion, each is as good as the other; the IS on the 100mm is an advantage for hand-held shots.
      Bob Turner
      Dundee, Scotland UK.

Comment

The 100mm IS lens is a cracker, the IS is very useful and works extremely well.

Comment

The 180 works fine with the converter.

On a ff the 180 is a good bet as the 100 means you are going to get close to the subject, unfortunate if it gets spooked and flies away, whereas the 180 puts some space between you and the subject.
          ef-r

Comment

Thanks everyone! Bawbee, I have checked and briansquibb thankfully confirmed it.

As for hand held, I'm used to hand holding the 100-400 (maybe why I have bad carpal tunnel) for playing around with wildlife shots, not great at wildlife but enjoy it!

I'm a bit of an elephant when it comes to moving through cover, so maybe the 180 might be a better for the spooking reason.

Thanks again everyone!
            Sorry I've not been around much. Sadly the ankle surgery and carpal tunnel surgery have both been unsuccessful, so have to wait and see what happens next. I hope to be shooting a lot more in the future!

Comment

Silly me, I thought people were talking about the weight of the lens, not the fact the 100 has IS. This has opened things up again! I like using lenses hand held a lot!

Comment

IS will be useless if the insect has flown ......
                ef-r

Comment

LOL thanks briansquibb! It did actually make me laugh!

My wife (a fellow photographer) said to me, "the amounts of times you've come home and said "I wish I had a tilt shift lens" far out way the times I've heard you say "I want a macro" so maybe you should look at tilt shifts as they're more suited for your work than macros" It's true I do shoot a lot of buildings and I often desire a tilt shift to correct verticals as well as make square shift photos, I can only afford one lens at the moment, it's to try and get my tax bill down before the end of the financial year ;). But I really want to play with macro, but she's right!

The one time I was really desperate for a macro lens was when I saw bees mating, it was the first time I had ever seen it. Since I've seen it another 2 times. I got a few shots with a 100-400, but they weren't great. At that time there were less than 10 shots in google images of bumble bees mating, now there's 100s.

I may play around with a 500D filter for now and hope I've had a good tax year next year and grab a new macro.

Hopefully the 500D will be enough for pottering about in the back yard and give me time whilst injured to get better at tilt shift.

Thanks again for all the help, Hope this time next year I'll be asking the same questions!

Comment

ended up with the Canon TSE 24mm Mk II f3.5L Lens. I look forward to learning how to use it.

Macro next year, or if I win some photo comp and get a big prize!

Comment

Originally posted by kiwigav View Post
                      ended up with the Canon TSE 24mm Mk II f3.5L Lens. I look forward to learning how to use it.
                      Ahhh listen to the better half, she knows best.
                      Enjoy your new toy.

Comment

I sure did, my new baby finally arrived 2 days ago, I've been having fun with it, nothing on the computer yet. Still moving and my desktop isn't setup Strangely it's my first ever prime and wow what fun! I even enjoy the full time manual focus. That said was still trying to photograph bees with it though! Hopefully macro in the near future.

Comment

Originally posted by kiwigav View Post

Macro next year, or if I win some photo comp and get a big prize!
                          Use it as a wide angle first - it is a super sharp lens.

I often use mine with the shift, but only a couple of times with the tilt
                          ef-r

Comment

Working...
                          X