• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slik Sprint Mini II Tripod

Maker/Provider: Slik

Product: Sprint Mini II tripod

Price: £54

Summary:

A good, small, relatively stable aluminium mini tripod that won't break the bank, although the tripod ball head is a bit femmer
    -----------------------------------------------

Detailed Review

I had two requirements before purchasing a small tripod, firstly the folded length had to be shorter than 420mm so it would fit in the top box of my scooter, secondly it had to carry a weight of around 2 kilo (1dS MKIII+17-40 F4L lens), a possible third requirement was that after years of traipsing around the dales, with all the camera gear + a Large Manfrotto tripod, the ability (and inclination) to carry such heavy gear diminishes, therefore was hoping to replace the heavy tripod with a smaller/lighter version for these situations.

After a bit of research, this Slik tripod seemed to fit the bill, at 350mm (folded length) it easily fit into my top box, is rated at 2 KG and weighs in at 780 grams.

On trying it out, while the ball head would be fine on a light camera body, I felt it just not sturdy enough for a brick like 1 series body.

So I swapped it around for a Manfrotto 484 RC2 head (4KG capacity), and was a lot more comfortable using it.

In Use

The tripod stands at full height at just over 1 metre, so just about comes up to my chest. And at full height, with the centre column extended, it doesn't feel very stable, and looks as though it could blow over (or knocked over) very easily. I prefer to use it with the legs at a wider angle.

The legs have independent three position adjustments, and with the centre column lower part removed, you can get down very low.

I have tried it out in the field, taking a number of long exposure shots(30 seconds), in a light breeze, the shots turned out sharp and clean, with no detected camera movement. I'd question the stability in a stronger wind though.

I did try the tripod with a 1 body and a heavier lens (85mm F1.2) and the bottom legs started to sag a little, therefore I reckon 2 Kg is the absolute max for the tripod.

This image should give you an indication of it's size, taken alongside a regular Manfrotto CF tripod.

Build Quality

Very good, all things look and feel solid enough, the legs don't stick, lock levers and leg angle adjustment locks work well, and click into place readily. The ball head works well, having tried it with a 7D and a small lens, remains stable, without any of the ball joint slip you sometimes see, even in the vertical position.

Strengths

Small, light, versatile, well made little tripod, and as long as you stay within it's limitations, works very well.

Weaknesses

As mentioned, using the ball head for gear around the 2Kg mark is not realistic, anything around the 1-1.5Kg mark and it would be fine, although the QR plate doesn't look like it would take much punishment.
    I don't think it would be very stable in anything but a breeze.

Final thought

Considering the tripod (with it's head) costs around the same price as the manfrotto head I'm using with the tripod, it ain't a bad bit of kit.
    Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
    Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Re: Slik Sprint Mini II Tripod

I've had my Slik 500DX tripod for years, and it has never let me down, or failed to impress me, so I'm sure you will be very happy with it's little brother.

I think you are wise to change the lightweight 'ball head' for the more substantial Manfrotto version.

I'm not a great lover of 'ball heads', and much prefer the three-way head on the 500DX, but I can see the usefulness of it on a very portable little tripod like that baby Slik.

I might look at getting one of those myself, as the 500DX is quite a 'heavy beast' to cart around.

Dave
    Dave

Comment

Working...
    X