35mm Scanner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

35mm Scanner

I would appreciate some guidance on a 35mm film scanner.

I have a sizable collection of 35mm negs going back to my teenage years. The photographs - mostly taken with an Olympus XA compact - are not anything special (in terms of artistic composition etc) but are sentimentally priceless.

I'd like to digitise them but need a compromise that will provide reasonably good JPeg images but is not too expensive and, most importantly, will allow me to achieve a reasonably speedy rate of conversion since I have a great many to get through.

I've got a budget of about £250 absolute max.

All ideas and thoughts gratefully accepted. I'd be looking to plug into a desktop PC running Win XP.

Re: 35mm Scanner

I too was considering digitalising my film negatives.
    I looked at the Plustek OpticFilm 7600i retailing around £250, Amazon have it at £239.99

Hope it helps

Comment

I have a Canon FS2710 that you can have for the cost of postage.
      Bob Turner
      Dundee, Scotland UK.

Comment

Tough one...
        My thoughts on scanners:
        (1) For really serious scanners you need a scanner with IR dust removal. or a team of elves to do it for you, eternal life would work too...
        (2) For cheap scanning use an adapter to go on the end of a lens and your DSLR, aside from anything else it's fast! Also a cheap way to start.
        Don't miss that point, if you want to scan a lot of negatives it's worth some effort in trying to avoid eating a big chunk of your life doing it.
        (3) Flat-bed scanners can do slides, not brilliantly, but not badly and will save some time.
        (4) Pay someone to do it.
        (5) You can also get digital cameras designed onto for negative scanning (e.g. AgfaPhoto DuoScan 100).
        Hint - try #2 first.
        John

Comment

Breezy, I am sure there are many members in the same boat as you. I too have a lot of negatives and a larger collection of colour slides. They are all unrepeatable ones. So I am looking at this thread with much interest. Dr.Jon, I have used the Ohanar slide duplicator before but it was laborious work; so much so, I sold mine a long time ago.
          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Breezy - Have a look at the Canon CanoScan 9000F Flatbed Scanner.
            You should be able to pick it up new with warranty and some added software goodies for well within your budget.
            If you google: Cheapest Canon Canoscan 9000F it comes up with a lot of sites and some quite reasonable.
            John

Comment

Thanks everyone for your helpful responses.

I think Dr. Jon has hit the nail on the head with his comment about it turning into "a lifes work." I have enough trouble shoehorning all the"digital" aspect of my photography into the usual work/family/hobby life balance without anything else! Yet of course it's a shame to have boxes of films and negs lying in cupboards or in the attack.

Hereford EOS2 - I've also seen this and it is on my list of possible options, but I just wanted to canvass other experiences and thoughts before taking the plunge - especially as whatever I end up with will have a finite life span since I no longer use film - though I guess this is what Ebay is for!

Bawbee - many thanks for this offer. What are your experiences with this in terms of speed and user friendliness? Also, is it OK with Win XP?

Texas - thanks for the tip. Will take a look

Cheers,
              Breezy

Comment

Thanks everyone for your helpful responses.

I think Dr. Jon has hit the nail on the head with his comment about it turning into "a lifes work." I have enough trouble shoehorning all the"digital" aspect of my photography into the usual work/family/hobby life balance without anything else! Yet of course it's a shame to have boxes of films and negs lying in cupboards or in the attack.

Hereford EOS2 - I've also seen this and it is on my list of possible options, but I just wanted to canvass other experiences and thoughts before taking the plunge - especially as whatever I end up with will have a finite life span since I no longer use film - though I guess this is what Ebay is for!

Bawbee - many thanks for this offer. What are your experiences with this in terms of speed and user friendliness? Also, is it OK with Win XP?

Texas - thanks for the tip. Will take a look

Cheers,
                Breezy

Comment

Sorry - seem to have posted a reply twice!

Doh

Comment

Originally posted by breezy View Post
                    Breezy,

It's a good machine but it's certainly not the latest technology. I used it with Vuescan and had some great results. One downside is that it requires you to plug-in a board to your PC internals (which means that I would have to remove it from mine) and it works fine with XP. See the Canon UK Website for further details.
                    Bob Turner
                    Dundee, Scotland UK.

Comment

Breezy, Have a look at the EOS magazine shop, Miscellaneous items shows an OHNAR slide copier, it also does film strip. at £129 it works fine attached to a DSLR camera. I have done some of my slide collection and it works well. My work rate was at least 60 per hour with not hurrying. Hope this helps. Johnnybee.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas View Post
                        Breezy - Have a look at the Canon CanoScan 9000F Flatbed Scanner.
                        You should be able to pick it up new with warranty and some added software goodies for well within your budget.
                        If you google: Cheapest Canon Canoscan 9000F it comes up with a lot of sites and some quite reasonable.
                        John
                        If you can get one........There doesn't seem to be anyone in the UK with stock. I've had an order outstanding now for over a month and no sign yet! One website says that there are none in Europe

Comment

Working...
                        X