Taking Your Images to the Print Shop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taking Your Images to the Print Shop

I dont usually print my images but this time around I had a couple of family photos I wanted for the album. so after some research on how to properly export images for printing in Lightroom, I took these to a local print shop. only put in ten images to print and they were all rather disappointing. nothing like what i see on my computer screen. lacked sharpness and white balance didnt look all that great either. i requested 4x6" prints. in Lightroom I had used the following: resized 1200x1800, 300ppi, quality 100%, sRGB color space jpegs. the prints were on matte paper - does that matter compared to gloss?
    are the bad prints due to my export settings or print shop quality? should i be resizing? whats the best method to get excellent prints

any advice appreciated
    regards
    Donald

Re: Taking Your Images to the Print Shop

Is your monitor calibrated ?
    Canon Eos 70D, Tamron 28-300mm XR Di VC, Yongnuo YN565EX + YN568EX, Panasonic FZ200

Comment

hey must admit I knew nothing about monitor calibration. am now reading about it and will if it makes any changes. many thanks!
      regards
      Donald

Comment

Donald, Monitor claibration could be an issue but I'd be tempted to check more fundamental things first - like foul-ups at the print shop. Do you know someone that has a good home photo printer (e.g. Epson) - maybe they could do a test print from the file for you? Gary
        www.garywhite-photography.com
        Gary White, MPhil
        Travel Photographer

Comment

Donlad, I missed this before. You are checking the monitor calibration which is good and may well help, as Gary has suggested see if someone can print a sample for you.

I must say that on the rare occassions that I have taken an image into a shop to have them print it for me I have simply exported a full sized jpg from lightroom that has been sharpened for printing and then let them resize it in their equipment, that way I know that I have given them the best quality image to work with that I can.

Comment

Working...
          X