Tripod head advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tripod head advice

I have just been given a Manfrotto 055XPROB tripod as a birthday present and I was wondering what kind of head would be best to get. E.G 3way pan & tilt or ball head.

I like to take landscapes, wildlife and Aircraft etc.

have been looking at the Manfrotto 327RC2

So any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Alex
    Alex

EOS R5 EOS 7D Mk ii Lenses EFS 18-55mm EFS 55-250mm EF 50mm 24-105mm Sigma EX 70-200 Sigma 150-600c

Re: Tripod head advice

The choice of tripod head is very uch a personal decission on what you feel happiest using. I personally prefer the ball head fixings and use a 468MG Hydrostatic Ball Head, which I like.

My reasoning for the chioce was that it will carry the load of my camera and heaviest lens with a good factor of safety, I have seen tripod heads drop over when using a head that is not man enough for the camera load, so I always take the maximum weight of my camera and heaviest lens then add a substantial factor of safety. I prefer the smaller size of the ball head units as they fit in tripod bags / cars etc much more easily than the units that have arms sticking out. Just my personal opinion and I know others differ.

You say that you want to use the tripod for wildlife and aircraft, in my experience for much of the wildlife shots I have taken the camera has been hand held as the subject tends to move too fast and too erratically for me to follow using a tripod, similarly with aircraft I always use my camera off tripod for shooting these for the same reason, I take a lot of model aircraft pictures at the model flying club that I am a member of.

The Manfrotto 327RC2 that you are looking at is classified as a light duty unit and has a max load of 5.5kg which will probably do what you need for quite a while.

Can you get to a camera shop and have a play with the various types and see which you feel most comfortable with?

Comment

If you equate the movements that a tripod head controls to an aircraft you will realise that there are three planes (sic) of adjustment. Pitch (up and down), Yaw (panning, side to side) and Roll (used to level horizons etc.).

Ball heads have a single locking knob or trigger that, once loosened, will allow the camera/lens combination to move in any of those planes. If you don't have a firm hold on the camera this could be problematic.

Three-way tripod heads have three locking knobs that each free the camera to move in one plane only, when panning or leveling a horizon for example. You could unlock all three knobs and you would have the ability to move the camera around just like with an unlocked ball head.

A geared head also has three knobs but they allow fine adjustment in all three planes. As you turn the knob the camera slowly moves in that plane. There is usually a quick release for more rapid adjustment. These types of head are ideal when accurate framing is important.

The final type is referred to as a gimbal head and allows you to balance the camera lens combination at it's centre of gravity and allows free movement in all three planes. What's more, when you let go of the camera it stays exactly where you left it pointing because of the balance. You can lock all three planes with a single knob if you wish. This type of head is much loved by wildlife and action/sports photographers. I have all types and wouldn't suggest a particular solution without knowing your budget etc.

As you live in Inverness, I suggest you get along to Ffords in Wester Balblair and talk to them. They are very helpful. I'll be up there myself in a couple of weeks and will be making my annual visit to their emporium. :-)
      Regards ,
      Norman

Comment

I wrote this as part of a previous post, in case of use:

Heads that are interesting... or at least should give some ideas to consider (3 different types here, ball/geared/fluid):
        Manfrotto 322RC2 ball head - very fast to use.
        Giottos MH1300-652 series II ball head - always thought this had great promise
        Manfrotto 804RC2 geared head
        Manfrotto 701HDV fluid head (the 501HDV is very heavy) - I always wonder if I should have got one of these instead of my final choice

(From http://www.eos-magazine-forum.com/sh...ll=1#post78162 )

BTW I use an Acratech GP, but they are decidedly un-cheap, so I'd be tempted to start elsewhere if I were you.
        Last edited by DrJon; 24-04-2012, 12:50.

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys

Will have a look in ffordes and see if I can try some out
          Alex

EOS R5 EOS 7D Mk ii Lenses EFS 18-55mm EFS 55-250mm EF 50mm 24-105mm Sigma EX 70-200 Sigma 150-600c

Comment

Originally posted by DrJon View Post
            Manfrotto 701HDV fluid head (the 501HDV is very heavy) - I always wonder if I should have got one of these instead of my final choice
            I used the 501 fluid head and you are right, it is on the heavy side and also doesn't self centre. I didn't upgrade to the 701 as there weren't enough advantages, but I have just changed to the new MVH502AH. That is a beauty. Precise control, very light compared to the other two and I got a special pro show price. Have used it twice and a noticable improvement.

Colin
            Colin

Comment

Working...
            X