Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to clean rear screen 5D2

hi there
    this is my first time on the forum so i hope someone can help me. I've just removed a screen protector from my 5d2 and it has left a sticky residue on the screen. Before i try to clean it has anyone got any idea on what to use so i don't damage it.
    thanks steve

Re: how to clean rear screen 5D2

Hi Steve,

Under no circumstances should you use any type of chemical cleaner. You would be amazed how many household products would actually 'eat' the screen!

I have overcome this problem before by good old fashioned elbow grease or more specifically 'thumb' grease! If you run your thumb across the screen several times, with minimal pressure, you will create friction and heat. As you continue to do this the adhesive softens as it warms and will eventually stick to your thumb. You will eventually thin the adhesive layer enough to be able to remove the rest with a standard lens cloth. Takes a little while but is a chemical free solution. If it's really stubborn and won't move I'd seek professional advice but avoid any solvent based products full stop, some of these will actually dissolve the screen!

Hope you don't suffer a blister though!

Andy

Comment

cheers andy will give it a go
      steve

Comment

You could also try 3M Magic Tape !!
        I use it all the time to remove label residue from Zip Disks`and it works a treat.
        Simply use short lengths, stick it on and peel it off several times and it will 'pick up' the gunge.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas View Post
          You could also try 3M Magic Tape !!
          I use it all the time to remove label residue from Zip Disks`and it works a treat.
          Simply use short lengths, stick it on and peel it off several times and it will 'pick up' the gunge.
          Waxing for camera screens.

Colin
          Colin

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
            Waxing for camera screens.

Colin
            Good Point. I never thought of it that way - until now.

Comment

We spent last weekend with our daughter in Dubai, so lots of shots of our 18 month old granddaughter outside in the pool; it was around 40c so by the time I went back into the house the screen on the back of my 5D-2 was a right gungy mess with sweat etc. When I went to review the shots I knew I had to clean the screen, a quick look around and I saw a pack of Johnsons baby wipes and what an amazing job they did, I suppose if they are OK for baby's bum they must be OK for a screen!!
              Ian,1D-3, 5D-2, 24-70L, 70-200L, 100-400L, ST-E2, 580-EX2, Elinchrom lights: http://www.flickr.com/photos/clik-klik/

Comment

Working...
              X