HDR Gothic Temple at Stowe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HDR Gothic Temple at Stowe

My first stab at an HDR image. I know it's a bit un-natural but I think in the case of this folly it kind of works - apart from the sky of course which should be more Adams Family. Please feel free to point out anything ... I'm kind of a new starter having just moved up from a 300D to a 5DMKII and so need all the help I can get.

Thanks
    Scott

Edit : I updated the image with a more sympathetic crop which this time doesn't cut the head off :)

HDR Gothic Temple - Stowe Landscape Gardens crop by anderson.council, on Flickr
    Last edited by anderson.council; 17-05-2012, 18:22.
    Scott

500px flickr

Re: HDR Gothic Temple at Stowe

I won't comment on the HDR cos generally I think they are the work of the devil ;)

So I'll comment on the Temple:-

First, is it supposed to be leaning to the right, it looks as though it's falling over.
    Second, you have clipped the top, I would have preferred everything in frame.

Otherwise, not bad.
    Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
    Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Comment

yeah its slanting to the right. needs some straightening unless thats how it is
      regards
      Donald

Comment

Thanks guys,

I know what you mean about HDR Les, I was really just playing around with it .. because it was there. I have seen some good HDR images and so long as I remember that the photographer is being creative I don't have a major problem with it.

I think I was too greedy when zooming in for this shot and didn't leave enough on top so that any crop wouldn't be too close and in this case "cut the head off". Smack wrist.

As for it slanting to the right - not sure what happened there. I have another image of it from another day from much further away where it also looks a bit crooked so maybe it is leaning. How would you go about fixing that bearing in mind this was my first real stab at any sort of image processing ?

I would attempt to fix it but my PC is so low on RAM that it is struggling with the image sizes coming off the 5DMkII. That's the problem with upgrading - the bottleneck gets transferred somewhere else :)

Cheers
        Scott
        Scott

500px flickr

Comment

Are you using an editing program, which one? In Photoshop experiment by rotating image 1 or 2 degrees left until building vertical, then use the selection tool, copy and paste into new image.
          Or you could just call it the "Leaning Temple of Stowe" Might look quite cool in B/W, whatever takes your fancy.....?

Comment

This is an shot I took (hand held) a couple of weeks back showing the temple in context. Maybe it's an optical illusion because it seems a bit crooked in this shot also - and yet before cropping I used the vertical lines of the crop tool to check vertical alignment and it seems OK. Maybe my eyes are not what they used to be ...

Stowe overall by anderson.council, on Flickr
            Scott

500px flickr

Comment

Working...
            X